Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to export my iWeb pages to a new computer?

I've got a new MacBook Pro, installed iWeb but don't know how to export my projects to the new iWeb.

Any help?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), iWeb

Posted on Apr 8, 2012 2:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2012 2:53 PM

From the iWeb Help :

User uploaded file

And since your new MacBook probably has Lion, here's a movie + text with need to know info :

http://www.wyodor.net/_Demo/Aptana/iWebSites.html

13 replies

Apr 9, 2012 9:24 AM in response to Wyodor

Thanks for asking this question. I had followed these instructions before coming to the support communities, and unfortunately they do not seem to work.

I am trying to do something slighty unusual in that I have a second user on my computer and I want to transfer a website from the main user to the second user. I copied the domain file onto a CD and then copied the CD to the desktop of the second user. When I double click on the domain file (on the desk top or the CD) of the second user it opens iWeb but not the website. The icon on the desktop looks as if it is going to open (ie it makes the usual sort of expanding movement) but the website does not open.

I have copied the domain file onto the desktop of the main user and when I click on it there it opens the website.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Leedsearcher

Apr 9, 2012 9:48 AM in response to leedsearcher

I am trying to do something slighty unusual in that I have a second user on my computer

Doing slightly unusual things usuallly result in slightly unusual conseqences. Why not do it the usual way?

And why do you use a CD when the domain file is already on the computer.

Drop it in the Share folder.

And yes, if you have Lion, it won't open the domainfile on the desktop. Drop in the the folder where it belongs.

That's why I published the movie.

I have copied the domain file onto the desktop of the main user and when I click on it there it opens the website.

That's an illusion. If you have Lion, it opens the domain file from its default location. If that file is the same as the one on the desktop, then you're fooled into thinking you opened the one on the desktop.

Apr 9, 2012 10:11 AM in response to leedsearcher

For demo purposes and to see if I overlooked something, I used iWebSites and dragged a domain file to the desktop as zip file.

I then dropped the zipped file in the Public > Drop folder (not the Share folder) of the other user.

Logged-in as the other user and dragged the zipped file on iWebSites. Then opened it in iWeb from iWebSites and published the site to the Sites folder in the Home directory.

It works as intended and there where no issues, such as wrong permissions.

As an aside, I wrote a tutorial how to publish to a FTP server on your own computer.

http://www.wyodor.net/Tutorials/iWebDemo/sFTP.html

In combination with all of the above it works as advertised.

Apr 9, 2012 11:04 AM in response to leedsearcher

In Lion the Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and hit the Enter button - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder.

To open your domain file in Lion or to switch between multiple domain files Cyclosaurus has provided us with the following script that you can make into an Applescript application with Script Editor. Open Script Editor, copy and paste the script below into Script Editor's window and save as an application.

do shell script "/usr/bin/defaults write com.apple.iWeb iWebDefaultsDocumentPath -boolean no"

delay 1

tell application "iWeb" to activate

You can download an already compiled version with this link: iWeb Switch Domain.

Just launch the application, find and select the domain file you want to open and it will open with iWeb. It modifies the iWeb preference file each time it's launched so one can switch between domain files.

WARNING: iWeb Switch Domain will overwrite an existing Domain.sites2 file if you select to create a new domain in the same folder. So rename your domain files once they've been created to something other than the default name.

OT

how to export my iWeb pages to a new computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.