Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wrong thumbnail in iphoto

1. In some iPhone events folders, many photos have the wrong thumbnail. It is the same thumbnail for many photos.

Clicking on the thumbnail will open the correct photo.

How do I get iPhoto to show the correct thumbnail for the photo.

2. Probably related. When I drag and make the thumbnails larger, the large thumbnail disappears and a stitched outline occurs.

Something screwy.

Help please.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 8, 2012 4:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2012 6:15 PM

Greetings,

Questions:

What version of iPhoto are you using (iPhoto > About iPhoto)?

Try:

1. Make sure you have a current backup of your information: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1427
  2. Follow http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2638 and put a check mark in the options for "thumbnails" and "permissions" (if present).

Hope that helps.

11 replies

Apr 8, 2012 6:45 PM in response to sirgunther

The current version of iPhoto is 9.2.3.

Go to Apple > Software Update and open the Mac App Store (little blue circle with a white "A" in it) and click on the updates button to check for and install the current version.

If that doesn't resolve the issue then take the steps suggested above.

Specifically:

1. Repair permissions -- allow to complete

User uploaded file

2. Rebuild thumbnails

User uploaded file

Hope that helps!

Apr 8, 2012 6:54 PM in response to MadisonP

Thanks, I updated to 9.2.3, but the problem persists.

I am mightily tempted to take the steps you recommend.

I know you cannot guarantee this, but any chance this will wipe out the 10 years of photos on my iPhoto?

I have a 500 GB backup, that I use to drop and drag, it does work through Time Machine.

Thus, to backup would require some finesse, that may be beyond me.

Standing by.

Apr 8, 2012 7:21 PM in response to sirgunther

I know you cannot guarantee this, but any chance this will wipe out the 10 years of photos on my iPhoto?

It is unlikely but better to have a backup than to lose images (not to mention a proper backup will backup all your information, not just images.)

If I understand you correctly you say you have a 500 GB backup drive and that you are using Time Machine?

That would suggest that you already have a backup (which is what Time Machine does, backs up).

If you don't use Time Machine then you can backup your iPhoto Library by:

1. Click anywhere on your desktop (the background)
  2. Go to the "Go" menu at the very top of the computer screen
  3. Click on "Home"
  4. Open the folder called "Pictures"
  5. Drag the item called "iPhoto Library" to your external drive to copy it.

Side note: Is there a reason you are using a drag / drop method of backing up rather than using an automated backup like Time Machine?

Apr 8, 2012 7:32 PM in response to MadisonP

Excellent.

Many thanks. Will do, before tinkering with thumbnail behavior modification.

I do not use Time Machine because it backs up often, and for some reason it just made up a bunch of duplicate files or something and I ran out of memory in about two days.

I was advised to change the settings with third party application to backing up once a day or a week. Which would only delay the problem for a while. (Back then, and maybe now, the setting could not be changed by iMac)

So, I just drag and save as I work. A 1000 GB would have been better I'm sure, but I got 500GB

Apr 8, 2012 8:41 PM in response to sirgunther

Curious.

Time Machine should not be backing up that many files during it's hourly backups unless you are making a MASSIVE amount of changes to many files on your computer (which is what triggers Time Machine to back them up).

That is something that might be fixable if you are interested in exploring it. You could post that behavior as a question in the Snow Leopard forum: https://discussions.apple.com/community/mac_os/mac_os_x_v10.6_snow_leopard

Apr 8, 2012 10:10 PM in response to MadisonP

Well, Time Machine will be tackled another day. As I understand it, if I used the 500GB external drive as Time Machine, I cannot drop and drag to save, which I need. I must save what I am working on immediately, from time to time, and thus I think would have to disable Time Machine to do that.

Your suggestions on iPhoto have solved the problem.

Many thanks.

Apr 9, 2012 7:12 AM in response to sirgunther

Glad to hear that resolved the issue.

As to Time Machine, you are correct that if you are using a drive as your Time Machine backup drive you should not also drag and drop files onto as Time Machine does alter the permissions of the drive for it's purposes and files where are not being handled by TimeMachine may not work correctly.

That said, if all you use that drive for is backups from your Mac anyways, Time Machine is a good way to go. If you need an "immedaite" backup simply go the Time Machine menu and choose "Backup now" this will backup any newly added / modified information to your drive if you want it backed up before the 1 hour automated backup.

Cheers.

Apr 9, 2012 4:52 PM in response to sirgunther

How big your backup drive should be is determined by how much data you are backing up.

Ex. If your internal HD is 500 GB your external drive your backup should be at least 500GB. Optimal would be twice that size so 1 TB (this just gives you room to grow and will mean it takes longer to fill up).

In regards to iPhoto:

- I assume that if you double-click an image in an event you are familiar with you see an appropriate picture (as opposed to a picture from a completely different point in time).

Try:

1. Go to Apple > System Preferences > Sharing > File Sharing -- Make sure this is not checked.
  2. Go to iPhoto > Quit iPhoto
  3. Click anywhere on your desktop (the background)
  4. Go to the "Go" menu at the very top of the computer screen
  5. Click on "Home"
  6. Open the folder called "Pictures"
  7. Right + Click or ctrl + click on the item called "iPhoto Library".
  8. Choose the option to "Show Package contents"
  9. Remove the following items (which are the thumbnail locations) to the trash:
    • Data (if present)
    • Data.noindex (if present)
    • Thumb64Segment.data
    • ThumbJPGSegment.data
    • Thumbnails
  10. Re-open iPhoto and do the rebuilds as you did above to repair permissions first and then to rebuild both sets of thumbnails.

wrong thumbnail in iphoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.