Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My IMac's hard drive was whipped, how do I get it working?

I turn on the IMAC, but the screen is black. The Hardrive is whipped and I have install disks but when I put one in it doesnt do anything. I cant get the disk out now either. How do i get it to work?

iMac, I have disks for IOS X

Posted on Apr 8, 2012 7:49 PM

10 replies

Apr 8, 2012 8:04 PM in response to patsman472

When you turn on the computer hold the C key. This will attempt to load the operating system from the CD or DVD. If it does not start with the "install disk" you inserted it's probably not the correct one for the computer.

If the disk isn't working for you start the computer while holding the mouse button depressed. That will force the disk to eject so you can try one that is appropriate for your model iMac.

Apr 10, 2012 10:44 AM in response to patsman472

whip is to hit. ( With a hammer? 😉 )

wipe is to clean.

--------------------------------

Try holding down the option key then power on. This brings up the startup manager. Click on your cd/dvd. Click on right arrow key.

--------------------------------

The exact model of iMac would be helpful.

Query by serial number

Apple's warrenty database will identify the type of Mac you have.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

These sites provide more information, but lack security.

"A serial number is a unique, identifying number or group of numbers and letters assigned to an individual piece of hardware or software. It's used for various things depending on the product / brand but what is your Mac's serial number for and more importantly... what is it hiding and what can it do for you ?"

http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com/Desktop/index.php

Robert

My IMac's hard drive was whipped, how do I get it working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.