Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DV footage pixelated after scaled down for split screen

I'm fairly new to FCP, so apologies if this is obvious.

In FCP6, I imported two .mov videos that I had edited a while ago in iMovie (from miniDV footage off a Sony Handycam DCR-HC38). I scaled and re-positioned the videos (using the Motion settings) to create a split screen. However, the footage both in the playback and the export are pixelated and jagged.

I googled a bit about this issue but couldn't find an anwer. Someone mentioned there is sometimes an interlace issue when you scale/reposition. Any suggestions on what I did wrong or should do?

Thank you so much! Have a beautiful day!

-Scott

Final Cut Pro 6, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 8, 2012 7:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2012 7:45 AM

If you can figure out what the target size of the dv material is, try scaling in compressor to something like prores with the resizing option set to best in the flrames control panel. Deinterlacing using the best option (again in the frames control panel) might also help. Do this before you bring it in to fcp.

What are the settings of your new sequence? Making the field dominance "none" might help.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2012 7:45 AM in response to osh1mama

If you can figure out what the target size of the dv material is, try scaling in compressor to something like prores with the resizing option set to best in the flrames control panel. Deinterlacing using the best option (again in the frames control panel) might also help. Do this before you bring it in to fcp.

What are the settings of your new sequence? Making the field dominance "none" might help.

Apr 12, 2012 1:59 AM in response to osh1mama

osh1mama wrote:

Basically, I have two .mov videos (640x480) that I want to both be in a single video.

Where exactly do they come from and what codec are they? You said you edited this from SD MiniDV footage so it should be 720 x 480 (and your sequence should match that).

Also: what version of iMovie was that? I seem to remember there being some odd behavior of versions beyond iMovie 6 .... something about dropping every other field ....

Another question: what if you just put one unscaled clip in the timeline? any issues?

osh1mama wrote:

I'm assuming that's about 320x240. How do I resize in Compressor? I got as far as setting it up for Apple ProRes 422 with all the settings you described. Is ProRes the best quality setting?

It's 320x240 if you want each clip to fill 1/4 of the screen. If you want the clips to really fill the screen you can simply use the crop tools in the Motion tab instead of scaling and repositioning.

For info on compressor look here: http://documentation.apple.com/en/compressor/usermanual/index.html#chapter=4%26s ection=7%26tasks=true

DV footage pixelated after scaled down for split screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.