Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to remove flashback virus?

I have just heard about the FlashBack virus on Mac OS Snow Leopard and do not know how to check for it and remove it if It has been downloaded?

Posted on Apr 8, 2012 8:37 PM

3 replies

Apr 8, 2012 9:02 PM in response to gerdbeckmann

Here's what I am suggesting as a rudimentary test for (not remove) some of the known strains of the flashback trojans. Open a terminal window and copy/paste each of the following lines hitting return after each one and note the results:

defaults read ~/.MacOSX/environment

defaults read /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Info LSEnvironment

defaults read /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/Info LSEnvironment

ls -la ~/Library/LaunchAgents

grep "/Users/$USER/\..*" ~/Library/LaunchAgents/* | grep -v "/Users/$USER/\.Trash"

For the three defaults commands if you get anything other than a "does not exist" error message post the results since you are almost certainly infected.

The fourth command, ls, just lists the contents of your LaunchAgents, if any. That's additional info to be used in conjunction with the last grep command. If the grep displays any results then that too may indicate infection and again post its results.

For removal, the current instructions are specified at F-Secure's Trojan-Downloader:OSX/Flashback.K.

Apr 11, 2012 7:58 PM in response to appleagreement2007

It means you didn't copy the entire grep line in my post. The forum software wrapped the line to fit in the allotted display width (triple click the grep line and you will see it select the entire line).

At any rate, since posting that F-Secure has posted a tool of their own which I am now recommending. Go to their Flashback Removal Tool web page and download the tool from there and follow their instructions.

how to remove flashback virus?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.