Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.4 mail cannot send

Hello,

I have an old imac which is running 10.41 while my intel Mac runs 10.68. I have one e-mail .mac account attached to the older computer. Over the last couple of days I have been unable to send e-mail on my older mac. It receives e-mail just fine though. The same account sends and recieves fine on my intel mac (and on my laptop). The message I get when using connection doctor is that there is something wrong wih the smtp server. The outgoing mail server is exactly the same as the one on both of my other computers and they work fine. I've deleted the account from the old imac and put the information in again. I've even tried using IMAP but it still doesn't work. I read on a thread that I needed to throw up my mail plist and did that as well.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Keith

Posted on Apr 8, 2012 9:00 PM

3 replies

Apr 9, 2012 9:33 AM in response to Keith Armstrong1

Hi Keith, it can be be done in 10.4.11

You cannot use .mac or MobileMe as type of Account, you have to choose IMAP when setting up, otherwise Mail is hard coded to change imap.mail.me.com to mail.me.com & smtp.mail.me.com to smtp.me.com, no matter what you try to enter.

iCloud Mail setup, do not choose .mac or MobileMe as type, but choose IMAP...

IMAP (Incoming Mail Server) information:

•Server name: imap.mail.me.com

•SSL Required: Yes

•Port: 993

Username: example@me.com (use your @me.com address from your iCloud account)

•Password: Your iCloud password

SMTP (outgoing mail server) information:

•Server name: smtp.mail.me.com

•SSL Required: Yes

•Port: 587

•SMTP Authentication Required: Yes

Username: example@me.com (use your @me.com address from your iCloud account)

•Password: Your iCloud password

If that doesn't work, go back & edit/check the Incoming & Outgoing servers.

10.4 mail cannot send

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.