Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't open video

I've been using Quicktime Pro to edit video but suddenly, when I tried to open a .mov file, I got a message that “(the file).mov” could not be opened. A required codec isn't available.To see if additional software is available that will enable QuickTime Player to open the movie, click Tell Me More."

I tried to open it with iMovie, tried to change the suffix, tried Handbrake - nothing. Is there a way to open and edit this file without buying Final Cut?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Apr 8, 2012 10:40 PM

5 replies

Apr 9, 2012 8:39 AM in response to mcbuffy

Yes, and it took me to a page that told me how sometimes this happens, that certain codec are required, and that this might be the problem. It really wasn't very helpful. It pointed out a possible cause, and and no direct solution. I'm working on a Macbook with Lion, but I'm thinking that it might be that my laptop can't work on HD video. Is that true?

Can't open video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.