Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two user accounts, permission issue on local folder.

I have a folder on the root of my hard drive on my macbook that is shared by two local admin accounts on that same macbook.

When logged on as User A On that local folder I set the permision set as:

User A Read/Write

User B Read/Write

Everyone no accsess.

When user B logs on the the mac they and get info on that folder they see the same above permisions.

However when they create or edit a file, the file is not inheriting that folders permision setting above. Instead it is writing:

User B Read/Write

Wheel Read Only

Everyone Read Only

When this happes User A has problems with certain files.

How can I get it so that when user B creates or edits a file in the folder that user A has the correct permsisions?

thanks

Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 9, 2012 8:00 AM

5 replies

Apr 9, 2012 8:18 AM in response to Jason Gallagher3

Greetings Jason,

I would not suggest storing any user level files in the root level of the hard drive as this may have unexpected results long-term as OS X permission are designed so that User files are stored in ~/ and system files are stored in /.

Move the folder in question to the Public folder of your user account and modify the permission set using the Sharing Preference pane (Apple > System Preferences > Sharing).

Alternatively you can move the folder to /Users/Shared/.

If the file in question is an iPhoto library, follow this article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1198.

Hope that helps.

Apr 9, 2012 8:48 AM in response to MadisonP

That still doesnt work for me.

I placed the folder files in shared. Gave the correct permisions to userA and UserB

The behavior above is still happining. UserB creates a file and userA doesnt have full permisions.

In addition

When placing the files into the shared folder I see that the everyone account that has permision fo reads and writes.

Is that everyone refer to local Macbook users and not over the network? (that would be defined in syspref file sharing)

Also does that apply to the guest account if enabled?

thanks

Two user accounts, permission issue on local folder.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.