Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My macbook is shutting off out of no where?

Okay, so I bought a used macbook. It's black and it's an OS X. The version is 10.5.8.

After I bought it, I noticed that the fan was making loud noises when I used it too long. I know it is normal for it to overheat after a long period of use but it doesn't just overheat, the fan starts making a weird grinding noise. I thought that it was just dirty and it wasn't affecting the way my computer was running, so I just ignored it.

It has been almost a year now since I first bought it used and the fan has gotten a lot quieter, but just starting last week I was watching a movie on Netflix and right in the middle of my movie, the computer just randomly shut off. I figured it was overheating. But, even after it had cooled down, I went back to watching my movie and within 10-15 minutes, it did it again!

Do I need a new fan? Or do I just need it cleaned?

Will it cost anything for either of those?

(Also, my computer starts to go really slow before it shuts off.)

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Apr 9, 2012 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2012 12:29 PM

Hi there 🙂

A can of compressed air would do that MacBook wonders! Make sure the machine is off, remove the battery and then press the power button for good measure to drain all remaining power. Then take the can and spray everywhere there is a opening, concentrating in the open vent areas. You might just need a mask to stop from choking on all the dust that comes out of there. best to do it in a ventilated area. The MacBook slowing down and then shutting off is a classic sign of overheating. Your mac is saving itself from certain death by triggering a thermal event shutdown.

Let me know if compressed air helped!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2012 12:29 PM in response to tifomjyst

Hi there 🙂

A can of compressed air would do that MacBook wonders! Make sure the machine is off, remove the battery and then press the power button for good measure to drain all remaining power. Then take the can and spray everywhere there is a opening, concentrating in the open vent areas. You might just need a mask to stop from choking on all the dust that comes out of there. best to do it in a ventilated area. The MacBook slowing down and then shutting off is a classic sign of overheating. Your mac is saving itself from certain death by triggering a thermal event shutdown.

Let me know if compressed air helped!

My macbook is shutting off out of no where?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.