Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Self assigned IP address

I am in desparate need f some help from anyone. My macbook pro will not connect to the internet. All I get is a self assigned IP address. I have tried renewing the DHCP, restarting the computer, resetting the network, etc. Nothing seems to work. I have the Mac OS X 10.7.3 version. Please help!!!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 9, 2012 10:46 AM

217 replies

Feb 14, 2017 9:44 AM in response to joepark14

I'm ure you figured this out already, but I just spent 2 hours going through this issue and this is the BEST fix I came up with, seems to have stopped my issues no matter how much I move from place to place.

1. Turn off your wireless in your troubled Mac.

2. Open System Preferences->Network tab and highlight your Airport card.

3. In the right hand pane click on the 'Advanced' button.

4. In the main 'Wi-Fi' mini-tab delete all 'Previous Networks' connections.

5. The save out and then go to the application /Applications/Utilities/ Keychain Access.app and in that application find the entries for your wireless router.

6. Then go back into your System Preferences->Network pane and highlight your Wi-Fi card again and use the pane to turn on your wireless again and use that to rejoin your wireless network.

7. Put in your username/password again and rejoin and save the password again.

8. Enjoy.

Apr 6, 2017 1:36 AM in response to Desigurl03

Thank you SO much Desigurl!

Followed the steps one by one (thank you for being so precise!), it worked instantly!

This happened to me after my computer went crazy last night and changed the date by itself back to 2001, perhaps this has corrupted the file? go figure! In any case now it works perfectly. You saved the day, thanks so much for sharing!

Apr 7, 2017 3:37 PM in response to joepark14

I'm a couple of years late but in case anyone finds this thread from a search, I hope this might help:

I got the 'self-assigned IP' problem after reversing the order of two Airports - base vs extension.

At first, I tried tips that helped others - trashing various prefs, re-setting the base station, manually entering random DHCP client numbers, deleting networks, keychains, etc - but no luck.

I then tried the following:

- turned Wi-Fi off on all Macs

- unplugged the 'extension' Airport

- reset the base station Airport (paper clip/flashing orange light routine)

- reconfigured the network with Airport Utility (using the same network name and password as before)

- turned Wifi back on and - bingo - both - Macs connected to Wifi again

- I then restarted and reconnected the 'extension' Airport.

I can't say which step(s) fixed it but my guess is that it may have been a combo of simplifying the network to just the base station, then resetting that, and then rebuilding the network.

Steven

Jun 27, 2017 3:21 PM in response to joepark14

Read through several of the replies, and noted with interest that the IP address "169.xxx.xxx.xxx" was self-assigned.

I ended up re-starting the modem and the Ethernet connection came up correctly, but then the Wi-Fi address was the self-assigned "169.xxx.xxx.xxx". Hmm. Re-started the Wi-Fi part of the modem/router and it was fixed. Really weird.

I'd just put in some power-line adapters to try out, and wondered if that had really messed things up. Good to know they hadn't -- except that one of the Macs hadn't been connected via Ethernet for some time. The connection worked last night, but not this morning. Glad things are back up and running.

Jul 27, 2017 8:34 PM in response to joepark14

I know this thread is super old but if anyone is still having this problem, like I did I finally solved my issue! I tried everything in this thread from manually entering the IP address, rebooting my computer, etc. LITERALLY everything. I finally called my ISP (TWC/Spectrum) and told him my issue and the customer service guy figured out that our modem was receiving the wrong information from the servers, resulting in the self-assigned IP address. He rebooted the modem manually and worked some magic and I was instantly online!!!! Hope this helps someone

Aug 18, 2017 9:42 AM in response to Pankajbhai Ahmedabadi

Happened on my wife's MacBook Pro running 10.12.6---Self-assigned IP on WiFi and Ethernet. Other Apple devices in the house connected with no problem. I tried all fixes in this thread. Nothing worked. I could establish WiFi and Ethernet communication to the internal network (manual IP address), but not to the Internet. Rebooting and resetting ISP modem did not work. Took it to the Apple Store. The MBP connected to their Ethernet, but not to their WiFi. The GB-worker noodled awhile, no solution. Finally, they loaded a new system, then WiFi and Ethernet connected to Internet. Later, at home, used Time Machine to restore the MBP to last working version. WiFi and Ethernet to Internet have been working ever since. Would just using Time Machine at the outset have worked? Maybe.

Apr 16, 2012 8:42 PM in response to joepark14

I had this happen to me twice and the solution for me was to delete the wifi network and keychain password.

The first time i fixed it by restoring from Time Machine which took a long time. I also tried the renew DHCP, delete com.alf.plist etc to no avail. The second time I found a better solution from someone on this forum:

Go to Network Settings

Turn Airport Off

Click Advanced tab

Select my wifi network and hit minus sign to delete

Click Okay

Click apply

Go to Keychain access in Applications/Utilities

Find your network name in the list and delete that password login

Then go back to Network settings and turn airport back on

Click Advanced

Click plus sign then Show Networks

Choose your network and re-enter your password

Click Okay

Click Apply

Then airport should work again, this is what fixed it for me.

All the best

Self assigned IP address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.