Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS keyboard shortcuts on a Mac?

Can I create keyboard shortcuts on my Mac like the ones in iOS ?

e.g. when I type "mail" it suggests me "my_email@email.com"

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Apr 9, 2012 11:25 AM

11 replies

Apr 9, 2012 12:12 PM in response to Lukaz32

Almost all the apps where you input text have a type of spell checking, some have auto correct some will highlight spelling errors and then you can easily fix them. You can also click a word and get thesaurus information. For example I can use a Magic Trackpad and when I 3 finger tap a word it's automatically highlighted, and provides spelling (US & UK for me) and thesaurus suggestions. I'm not quite sure if that's what you're looking for though.

Apr 9, 2012 2:13 PM in response to Lukaz32

You might be able to use Text Substitution for that.

To try that out, Go to System Preferences > Language & Text > Text. Checkmark the first item, "use symbol and text substitution" if it is not already checkmarked.

Then click the "+" button under the list in the left side. Enter the keyboard characters you want to use as the trigger; then enter the text string you want that trigger replaced by.

I use that to quick-enter my email address. I set the trigger string as dak. so it would not be something that I would type normally (and hence not want replaced).

Apr 12, 2013 5:41 PM in response to Lukaz32

I just finished manually creating the many shortcuts in my iPad on my new MacBook Pro. They don't work! 😟

lll

ttt

omi

hhh

See? That was supposed to come out as LOL, tsk tsk tsk, omigosh, and heeheehee. Nothing.

The iOS also auto-spells iOS, MacOS, iPhone, iPad, MacBook, etc. with the proper lower/upper cases for me. MacOS isn't doing it. I'm spoiled by iOS features!

iOS keyboard shortcuts on a Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.