Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV Jerky image

Hello,

I'm experiencing a problem while watching movies with apple TV.

The image is rather jerky, just like if some frames are missing.

It happens in tow different situation:

First with a streamed movie rented directly on apple TV

The second time it was a downloaded movie from iTunes and played on the tv via the airplay function of Apple TV.

These were HD movies. The Apple TV resolution is set to "auto" and gives a 1080p resolution @ 60Hz.

Anyone is experiencing the same problem or have found a solution?

Apple TV 3-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 9, 2012 5:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2012 5:55 PM

I've never felt AppleTVs give motion quite as smooth as DVD or Blu Ray but subjectively ATV3 is better than earlier versions.

Apart from that do check your TV Settings - Autmoatic picture enhancement 'features' especially those that generate extra frames and motion compensation/prediction cam adversely effect smoothness and are worth disabling to see if they are the culprit.

AC

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2012 5:55 PM in response to dioaka

I've never felt AppleTVs give motion quite as smooth as DVD or Blu Ray but subjectively ATV3 is better than earlier versions.

Apart from that do check your TV Settings - Autmoatic picture enhancement 'features' especially those that generate extra frames and motion compensation/prediction cam adversely effect smoothness and are worth disabling to see if they are the culprit.

AC

Apr 9, 2012 6:44 PM in response to Alley_Cat

Thank you very much for the answer.

I will try that and report later on.

I'm not used to that tech yet, it's the first time I'm using it.

but all other streamed content like preview or tv shows are running very smooth with a pretty high res apprently.

I'm wondering if it's not related to the way movies are encoded on itunes.

Jun 20, 2012 10:51 AM in response to Texnboots

I recently got an AppleTV, third generation, primarily for viewing movies on Netflix. On a very few have I had the jerky or stuttering problem others have experienced. This appears to be a problem with the ATV as I can view the same program on an iPad running the latest iOS or via the built in Ethernet adapter on the TV. I prefer using the ATV because it is much more responsive when reviewing available programs/movies but the jerky playback is very annoyning. As previously mentioned, I only noticed on a few movies but it would be nice to not have the problem at all. This is not a Netflix issue as far as I can tell since it plays back fine on other devices. It is not an Internet download speed issue either since the majority of my Netflix movies play fine. When I do find a movie with the problem, it is consitent with that particular item. I did try manually changing the DNS server entry on the ATV to 8.8.8.8 as suggested by others but this has had no material affect. Interesting problem that I hope Apple addresses.

Jun 21, 2012 8:36 PM in response to Alley_Cat

Alley_Cat, the programs I have seen the problem with were in SD and from the UK. We have been watching a lot of British shows since getting the ATV a couple of months ago and had not seen any issues. Last week, I noticed the problem on an older movie, circa early 70s and wrote it off to poor quality. Then we watched a BBC produced show this weekend from 2005 and both episodes exhibited the jery problem. We could view the same program via the Bravialink adapter that came with the TV with no jerky issues. This seems to be an issue with the ATV when viewing some Netflix content. Really prefer the ATV but not if the shows are unwatchable. Hopefully this can be resolved.

Jun 22, 2012 2:10 PM in response to d18ge

The problems that I cured by turning off the CineMotion enhancement tool on my Sony were exactly as described above. That is, the jerkiness only occurred on SD British TV shows. I'm pretty sure that if you check your TV's settings and turn off any picture enhancements tools it should solve the problem. I found there were two on the Sony. One is called "Motion Enhancer" and turning tihis off did not help. The other one was "CineMotion" and turning this one off did the trick. Make sure that when you change the settings you are on the correct input channel for you Apple TV HDMI cable and not the channel for your regular TV. Good luck. Cheers.

Apple TV Jerky image

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.