This may not be the most appropriate forum to deal with this issue, but I don't know where else to start. It's not a sync or OS problem per se.
Earlier today I posted that I had managed to lose all the events in all but the Home calendar in iCal, on MM, and in Calendar on several iPads, iPhones, etc. At the time I thought I had a reasonable current copy of all my calendars on my MacBook, but as soon as I turned it on this morning it synced with the now-empty MM calendar and it too became empty. I thought I was screwed.
Then I remembered that I made a disk image of my iMac hard drive a couple of weeks ago, so there is at least one more copy of my calendar database with which I can work. I have deleted all of the MobileMe calendars from MM and from iCal on my computers, so all that remains are a half dozen "On My Mac" calendars and a dozen or so subscribed calendars.
I need to know what to do next. I thought about copying the Calendars folder from the disk image to my personal library on one of the computers and rebuilding the MM calendar from there. I'm not sure that that is a viable option - I may need to move the iCal pref file and maybe some others to get everything to mesh correctly on the computer I want to do this on. I sincerely hope that I don't have to individually import each one of those calendars from the disk image Calendars folder into iCal.
Sounds like sync services is having issues.
- SafeBoot your computer: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455 (This disables all syncing)
- Disconnect your computer from the Internet by going to the Airport Menu > Turn Airport Off / Unplug the ethernet cable.
- Make a brand new folder on your desktop and put the Calendar folder from your backup inside it.
- Highlight the folder on your desktop and go to File > Get Info.
- Go down to Sharing and Permissions and click the padlock to unlock.
- Click the little gear at the bottom and choose apply to enclosed items.
- Go to your current Users > Library folder and rename the existing Calendars folder to Calendars.old.
- Move the Calendars folder from the folder on your desktop to the Library folder.
- Remove the following to the trash:
- Home > Library > Caches > com.apple.ical and/or just ical
- Home > Library > Preferences > com.apple.ical (There may be more than one of these. Remove them all.)
- Restart the computer. (This takes you out of SafeBoot)
- Launch iCal.
- Assuming your data shows up, immediately export fresh copies of all the calendars to a new folder on your desktop by clicking on each calendar on the left hand side of iCal one at a time highlighting it's name and then going to File Export > Export.
- Restore your Internet connection
- If your data remains and pushes to MobileMe you are done.
- If your data vanishes, you can re-import the calendars from the copies you exported in step 12.