Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do my Safari searches go through Bing?

Some time back...maybe a couple months or a few...all my searches began running through a Bing interface. I'm hot happy with the change. Bing tends to prioritize search results for me, with lots of junk, paid ads coming up first and very few results on the first page. What has happened and how can I undo it and move on with Safari searches? Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), brand spanking new

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 6:16 AM

15 replies

Apr 11, 2012 2:13 AM in response to Steven Blunk

Thanks for your response. My preferences are found where you suggested but they were already set to Google. So, no change: Bing still comes up.

Searching a bit online, I noticed what seemed to be a source for Bing, that is it serves as a Microsoft advertising (dis)service (choose your position).

No luck finding any solution to this yet. J

Apr 11, 2012 2:58 AM in response to Klaus1

Perhaps someone on this site knows how-to remove it. I'm afraid to 'sign up to create an account' just to post a comment on their forum site.

Let me note also that I have (like a disease) Bing beta, which I take is a European release.

It seems to be connected to hotmail and it may be burried in thier preferences, so I will explore there too and invite others more capable than I to do same...please! 🙂

Does anyone think it may be the fault of the latest version upgrade of Safari (in bed wqith Bing)?

Thanks

Jun 2, 2014 3:37 PM in response to Buckeyegrl

Hello Buckeyegrl,

I've found out how!

I guess I'm the only one in the world who uses Mac... That knows how to do it?

1. Click "Safari" by the Apple icon on the menu bar.

2. Click "Preferences".

3. Click "General" and select your default search engine, your homepage, and your tab settings. (All marked in red bellow in the image).User uploaded file

4. Click "Extensions".

5. Now you see a pop-up menu, click it and select "Default" (Marked in red in the image bellow).

User uploaded file

5. Now try searching the web!

Did you understand all of this?

If not, just use my signature here to contact me...

-Abraham Girt

<Email Edited by Host>

Why do my Safari searches go through Bing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.