Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to open .ods zip file which save as .cpgz file extension

I try to open an Open Office spread sheet and it simply saves the file as another file with the .cpgz extension which does the same thing. This did not happen a couple weeks ago; I think my download for Apple updates may be the culprit. My OS X is now 10.7.3, I believe originally it was 10.7.2 but I could be wrong.

The original document is a zip archive but now "saves as" a .cpgz archive. I have tried the "Unarchiver", which I just downloaded, but it only creates another file with subfolders, none of which appear to have my original spread sheet. (To be honest, I never noticed this Open Office spread sheet file was a zip file until a few minutes ago when I tried to unsuccessfully open it).

I see this problem has become more common recently so I hope someone has a simple answer. Thanks much.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 7:30 AM

13 replies

Jan 23, 2017 3:50 AM in response to Tiberius Spock

Newer Office style files are actually compressed with ZIP, this applies to .docx, .pages and .ods.

If you don't have a program installed on your Mac which already understands .docx, or .pages or .ods then the Mac may get confused and try to process them as a standard ZIP file - which they are not.

In the case of .ods whilst Office for Windows supports this format Microsoft have wilfully chosen not to enable Office for Mac to use the same files. For .ods your best options are either Libre Office which you can install on your Mac or to use Google Docs via a web-browser to open and convert these files to real Microsoft Office format.

Jan 4, 2018 9:37 AM in response to John Lockwood

Thanks, this worked for me!

1. Open Google Docs in a browser window.

2. Click "Open a file" (The file folder icon)

3. Click "Upload"

4. Drag the attachment to the window and, TA-DA!!!

5. (optional) If you want to save the file to your Mac, email the file from Google Docs to yourself as an attachment in the appropriate format (you can choose .pdf, .xlsx, .docx etc.) Save the attachment and you are all set.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. PROBLEM SOLVED!

Apr 17, 2012 6:48 AM in response to Tiberius Spock

Problem solved.

I recently downloaded the mac "Numbers" application and deleted the "Open Office" program. I don't remember doing so but I did. Naturally, when I re-downloaded "OO" I could open the spreadsheets.

This still raises the bigger question of whether one spreadsheet program can open another's. Word processor programs have been compatable with each other and I would assume so are spreadsheet programs. I'm new to the Apple programs so it's more likely I'm just too much of a novice to figure things out quickly enough to only be a little frustrating.

Thanks for your help and time BD. It is appreciated.

how to open .ods zip file which save as .cpgz file extension

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.