Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud email update question

I am running OS X 10.5.8 and have a mobileme account. DO I have to purchase the 10.6 upgrade for $29 then spend $400 more to get to Lion to move over to iCloud?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 9:26 AM

1 reply

Apr 10, 2012 11:06 AM in response to k8o2

Hello, not for eMail you don't. 🙂

I think they're slowly nudging people to switch, .mac & MobileMe are going away about June/July, may as well set it up now.

Do not delete the old account yet.

I understand .mac mail will still come through. Do not delete the old account yet.

You cannot use .mac or MobileMe as type of Account, you have to choose IMAP when setting up, otherwise Mail is hard coded to change imap.mail.me.com to mail.me.com & smtp.mail.me.com to smtp.me.com, no matter what you try to enter.

iCloud Mail setup, do not choose .mac or MobileMe as type, but choose IMAP...

On second step where it asks "Description", it has to be a unique name, but you can still use your email address.

IMAP (Incoming Mail Server) information:

•Server name: imap.mail.me.com

•SSL Required: Yes

•Port: 993

Username: example@me.com (use your @me.com address from your iCloud account)

•Password: Your iCloud password

SMTP (outgoing mail server) information:

•Server name: smtp.mail.me.com

•SSL Required: Yes

•Port: 587

•SMTP Authentication Required: Yes

Username: example@me.com (use your @me.com address from your iCloud account)

•Password: Your iCloud password

iCloud email update question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.