Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Xserve boots from target disk mode but not without it

I'm a high school business teacher and I purchased an Xserve with 10.5 on it 2 years ago with a grant.

I managed to mess up the PHP trying to add GD funcationality for images. (I don't have a programming background and while I have learned a little I was out of my league with adding GD and ended up using a tutorial that was incorrect.)

As it would take my technology director a few months to try to rebuild my PHP mess I decided to re-install the OS on the server.

This is where the problems started.

Here's a summary:

1. Xserve would not boot from the disk on its own

2. Can install 10.5 Server via Target Disk Mode, however, after re-starting the Xserve out side of TDM it will not boot.

3. I have tried resetting the PRAM and have tried installing the OS on a different hard drive (taking out the original hard drives and using a different one)

Still can't figure out why it always freezes while booting (If I hold down "Option" while booting and bring up the possible boot disks, they will appear, but after clicking on one the computer will freeze.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 10:24 AM

There are no replies.

Xserve boots from target disk mode but not without it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.