Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP: Cannot restore DMG image stored on NTFS disk!

Hello. My MacBook Pro has OSX Lion on it.

I have created a DMG image of my starting volume using Disk Utility. The image was saved on an NTFS formatted external USB disk. I used Paragon NTFS for Mac to activate writing on NTFS partitions. The image was created, tested and it mounted fine. It's size is 105GB.

I have restarted the system and am accessing Disk Utility from the recovery partition that OSX Lion creates. Disk Utility can see the NTFS disk and I can choose the DMG image as source and the partition on the internal hard disk as a target without problems but when I press the restore button and the Image scan process is going to start I just get an error that says "Unabke to scan Mac-OSX HD. Resource busy". When I try the SCAN BEFORE RESTORE command on Disk Utility on the image I am getting "Unable to scan MAC IMAGE.DMG (Not such file or directory)".

I have already erased my startup disk and really need to get this image back in place. It is the only backup I have of my data.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 1:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 1:22 PM

Move the image to an HFS formatted disk.

3 replies

Apr 10, 2012 1:35 PM in response to Csound1

Thanks for the fast answer. Excuse my question but are you certain of this? This would be a big job because I would have to:

1. Find another external hard disk. Most probably it will be NTFS formatted because this and FAT32 are the most common formats out there.

2. Find another apple computer to transfer the image to the other hard disk

3. Format my external hard disk as a HFS disk

4. Transfer the DMG image back to the HFS hard disk.

5. After this reformat my external hard disk as NTFS because I live in an hybrid world where PCs and Macs coexist and NTFS is a good bet for compatibility.

If you indeed are certain that that is the correct answer to this situation then I will move into it immediately.

Thanks.

HELP: Cannot restore DMG image stored on NTFS disk!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.