Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to move certain files to certain folders?

I am trying to speed up Re-Labeling all my metadata for every song in my library. Basically I need to create a workflow first, but I am having some troubles on how I should be doing it in Automater. I will explain what I need and hopefully someone could help me create a workflow to make it happen.

=============

Example filename: "forrestaveryderty_driftinonby_flapjack.m4a"

find all filenames that start with the same word before the First underscore (_)

create a folder with that same word

copy files with the same word (BEFORE THE FIRST UNDERSCORE) to their corresponding folder name

I then can use Media Rage to select the certain folder and and change the artist name all at once.

and I would like it to do that with every file at one time.

again...

1: Find files with the same name before the first "underscore"

2: Create a a folder for every different name found (before the first underscore)

3: Copy found files (with same name before the first underscore) to the folder with the same name

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 2:39 PM

2 replies

Apr 11, 2012 4:36 PM in response to DudeDeadly

This would be easy to do in iTunes. Find all the songs you want to change using search or smart albums or the browser. Select them all. Get Info (Command-I). Enter the new metadata. All the selected songs will be changed at once.

There are also a number of Applescripts available to facilitate metadata editing. See, for example, Doug's Applescripts.

How to move certain files to certain folders?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.