You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I make a thermostat graph using Numbers?

I'd like to create various graphs showing the goal that I'm trying to reach over the course of a year. The idea is the show the monthly progress until we either reach our goal or come close to it by the end of the alotted time. How can I chart my progress using a graph in Numbers? How do I set it up?

iMac G5, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 4:25 PM

1 reply

Apr 10, 2012 6:21 PM in response to elite_m

Hi m,

Are you thinking of a 'thermometer' graph, perhaps?

User uploaded file

The chart itself is a stacked bar chart, showing two values: %done, and %to go.

The first is entered directly (or could come from calculations in another table).

The second is calculated using the formula =1-B (or =100%-B)

Fill colour for the first value is set to the red shown; Fill colour for the second is set to 'none'.

The 'thermometer' is constructed from three shapes, stacked in front of the chart in this order:

1. A tall rounded rectangle. Stroke: 3mm, Fill: 'none', corner radius: large enough to provide a Rounded end, Height: To suit the chart: The straight sides should reach from the 0% line to the 100% line. Width: to fit the bar: Looking at my result, I would make the shape a bit narrower, to cover the edges of the bar.
  2. A circle. Stroke 3mm, Fill: same red shade as set for the Fill colour of the first value bar. Size: to fit. You want a smooth join just at the point where the rounded end of the rectangle shape finishes.
  3. A rectangle. Stroke: 'none', Fill: same shade of red. The rectangle is used to cover the circle where it crosses the 'thermometer' bar. Its width should be the same as the space between the vertical strokes of the rounded rectangle. Its height, and vertical position should place it where it will just cover the outline of the circle.
  4. A text box to contain the Goal Name. Place this on the circle, as shown. The example is 14 pt Helvetica Bold, wiht colour set to white.

Here's a view with the three shapes moved to the side to make them more visible.

User uploaded file

Regards,

Barry

How can I make a thermostat graph using Numbers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.