Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Troubleshooting for SLOW (almost useless) Aperture 3x

Hello,

Is there a condensed list of all the troubleshooting actions to correct a copy of Apreature 3x that is running so slow that it is virtually useless?

I have looked through this forum often over the last few months and tried at different times to correct my issue without success. It has become so frustrating and time consuming that I basically have resorted to iPhoto or non-Apple software to get me by with my catalog of over 100000 images. Recently I tried a beta copy of Adobe Lightroom 4x with the same photo catalog on my Mac and was quite impressed to NOT SEE the spinning beachball from **** one single time. So, my goal to to absolutely exhaust all troubleshooting attempts with Aperature before jumping ship. Here are just some of the things that I have tried so far:

- Made sure I had all the most recent versions of Mac OS 10.7 and Aperature 3

- Upgraded to a total of 8GB RAM and a 1TB hard drive on my MacBook Pro 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

- Restarted with the only program running as Aperature

- Reinstalled Mac OS 10.7x and Aperature 3x

- Repaired permissions for entire Mac OS volume and individually in Aperature

- Rebuilt entire photo catalog through Aperature

- Made sure Faces/Places not crunching data

- Letting Aperature go for up to 48 hours in whatever process it was running

To confirm what I am experiencing with Aperature (currently version 3.2.3), here are those symptoms:

- Slow to start up

- Even slower to shut down, often times requiring force quite after 20 minutes

- Jerky scrolling of images when it works, but usually no scrolling at all

- Any import/export action taking far too long

As a side note, I see rumblings that there is Aperature 4x in the wings. Here is one of the clues:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/apple-aperture-4-john-lewell/1109129362?cm_mmc=A FFILIATES-_-Linkshare-_-TnL5HPStwNw-_-10:1

The next upgraded version of Aperature needs to be so much more effecient to keep my business...

"Technological change is like an axe in the hands of a pathilogical criminal." (Albert Einstein, 1941),

Dr. Z.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2009), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 5:40 PM

1 reply

Apr 10, 2012 7:08 PM in response to Dr. Z.

If you have the time to read a couple of long posts from back when Aperture 3 was released, there is a lot of information to be had and ideas on making a fast Aperture system:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2343039

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2360456?answerId=11245851022#11245851022

Note - back then; I was just 'CorkyO' and had a couple of questions in there.

I am not really a huge fan of constantly focusing on my hardware set-up to make software run well, but for anyone semi-professional or professional in the Photography field the discussions have some ideas of what would make the system work on that level with any size library. 😉

Troubleshooting for SLOW (almost useless) Aperture 3x

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.