Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After updates my iMac OS X 10.6.8 won't read certain .mov files

After updates on my iMac OS X 10.6.8 .mov files shot with the JVC HD200 will no longer play! Everything was fine before the updates. I keep getting the error message: invalid public movie atom. I was told it may have been from the iTunes update so I deleted iTunes and both versions of quicktime that I have and reinstalled earlier versions. Still no luck:( Any suggestions??

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 5:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 6:14 PM

Greetings,

1. Make sure you did not remove:
    • /Library/QuickTime/AppleIntermediateCodec.component
    • /Library/QuickTime/AppleMPEG2Codec.component
  2. Install Perian and see if they play: http://perian.en.softonic.com/mac

Cheers.

8 replies

Apr 10, 2012 7:00 PM in response to MadisonP

Hi, thank you for your advice! I looked in Library/QuickTime and I have both of those codecs still. But I just noticed that under System there is a Library folder as well with another QuickTime folder in that. (is that the way it is supposed to be set up?) Anyhow, neither of those codecs were in that one so I copied and pasted the 2 from the one Library to the other. That didn't work. I installed Perian and that didn't work either....my computer hates me!! Lol, any other suggestions?

Apr 10, 2012 8:03 PM in response to angblk

Take those two out of the /System/Library/Quicktime/, they don't live there 🙂

According to JVC's website your camera uses MPEG2 compression which is not natively supported by OS X 10.6.8. I'm unclear how you were able to play them before unless you purchased and installed http://store.apple.com/us/product/D2187Z/A or have Final Cut Pro installed (which includes the MPEG2 playback component).

Try playing the files with one of these:

If those don't work then reinstall the last update: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1400

Apr 11, 2012 12:59 PM in response to MadisonP

O.k. they're gone! Thanks:) I do have Final Cut Pro. Some of the files I'm having trouble with I can see in FCP and some are just black. But none of them will play longer than a half a second. VLC works for viewing (thank you) but not helping me edit. I did the update you suggested but it didn't help with my public movie atom problem. And I have no idea why it worked before....I have FCP 7 still, not 10 so maybe that's why. May have to bite the bullet and purchase the mpeg playback component or pay the $49 and get Apple support. Yipee!!

Apr 13, 2012 7:24 PM in response to angblk

Based on the behavior my theory is that one or more of the Quicktime codecs has been damaged. FCP7 installs a variety of codecs that don't come with every Mac which gives you additional format support. You should not need to purchase that component as it is part of the FCP7 package. That suggests to me that 1 or more of the FCP7 installed codecs is damaged.

At this point I would suggest 3 things:

1. Install the combo update as a I suggested above if you haven't already (If those don't work then reinstall the last update: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1400)

2. If you have a complete backup of your system (like with Time Machine), restore the contents of /Library/Quicktime/ from the backup from before the update was installed, restart the computer and see if it works.

3. Post your issue in the FCP7 forum and ask how to completely remove and reinstall FCP7 and all it's components (last I checked it requires a complete Erase and Install but I'm not a FCP person so ask the experts first): https://discussions.apple.com/community/professional_applications/final_cut_stud io

Side note: If the files open in VLC and you don't want to do all the above work right now (up to you obviously), you should be able to save the files out in a readable format by going to File > Exporting / Streaming Wizard. Personally I'd try to get your system back the way it was by taking the above steps but you have to balance your immediate need vs. time spent to fix this long term.

Best of luck to you!

Apr 17, 2012 11:20 AM in response to MadisonP

I think you're right, I think I am going to have to reinstall FCP7. I actually converted the files I needed to get the one project I'm working on out and it worked...or at least it worked for awhile! They were playing fine in FCP7 and everywhere else after I converted them. Then suddenly last night mid project the viewer and source windows went black. Boo. Can still hear the audio but no visuals to be seen. I tried the combo update again but no luck! Converted files are still playing fine in Quicktime player but not in FCP7. So it's gotta be Final Cut. I'm going to go back to painting and writing now and stay away from my computer....

After updates my iMac OS X 10.6.8 won't read certain .mov files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.