Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro's keyboard is typing random letters/symbols- can't figure out- HELP!

OK, so everything was just fine, worked wonderfully, then I found my little chihuahua puppy walking on the keyboard, she is very tiny, so not heavy at all, & I caught it pretty quick... I DID see she may have had a little bit of wetness on the bottom of a paw, as there was a bit here or there, but it really wasn't much at all, and I was able to soak it all right up with a tissue, it really wasn't enough water, or in a bad enough spot, for me to worry at all about any damage being done- however- while trying to enter text in text edit, I realized that all the keys on my keyboard were either not responding at all, or typing completely random letters/symbols instead of the intended characters- for example, every time I'd type/press one single letter on the keyboard, one time, instead of that letter, it would type TWO completely different letters, like 'ht' , at the same time- so every "d" would produce "ht" over and over... sometimes it looks like hebrew or russian letters, I don't even know! So I'm pretty darn sure my puppy must have typed some crazy key combo that did, well, who knows what- I've tried looking this up here on these forums, for a couple days now, and thought that I maybe figured it out a couple of times, but nope- no luck. It isn't my language setting, my option key isn't stuck, I'm lost! I saw a couple people who seemed to know what they were talking about, who were trying to help others with similar problems, and they asked the person to enter "asdfg" into text edit, and to post what that produced instead of the "asdfg" so.... I planned on doing that very thing right now, but there seems to have been a new development- as now, when I go into text edit, none of my keys work/respond when hit- except for a few, the following keys in lower case ";" " ' " "/" "[" "]"

"\" "=" & "-" THEN, when I hit the following keys, here's what they type:

c= cde3

v= frv4

b= bgt5

n= hny6

m= jmu7

comma= ik8,

period= lo9.

Then sometimes, when I hit the 1 or 2 key, the letter "z" starts to type constantly filling up the whole text edit box, like, "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.... & so on"

If anyone has any idea what is really going on here, PLEASE help me out- I love & need this laptop for work, school, etc. and right now, I am no where near an apple store, don't even have good phone reception up here- (on a mountain!) so I'm really hoping that someone can help me figure this out once and for all! THANK YOU for reading this lengthy post, & thanks in advance to anyone who tries to solve this mystery!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 5:49 PM

6 replies

Sep 24, 2013 6:11 PM in response to MacLovinGirl

I should point out I was having a very similar issue with no known liquid coming in contact with the machine. The keys that were affected were close together: my e, d, and c keys would consistantly type weird combinations of characters, some of them very out there, stuff like ¥©þ®. An external keyboard would work fine.

After a few days it just stopped, and the only reason I can think of is that overheating was the problem. I was playing "cookie clicker" a game where you often leave the game running overnight, and I noticed that the fan was often working very hard and that the computer got pretty warm, even when leaving it on a hard surface. So after three days of symptoms I stopped playing that game and a day or two later everything was back to normal. My e, d, and c keys were inconsistant for the first 24 hours (sometimes worked, sometimes didn't), but now they're working working fine.

Macbook Pro's keyboard is typing random letters/symbols- can't figure out- HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.