Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts disappear after import into address book

Recently I tried to set up sync with gmail. As soon as I did all my contacts in the cloud and all my Apple devices disappeared. I shut down the sync and tried to re-import my contacts from an earlier export, but each time I choose Import, the names appear, the whell spins, and when it stops all the contacts disappear. HELP please!

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 7:28 PM

1 reply

Apr 10, 2012 7:47 PM in response to davidfrompacifica

Greetings David,

To avoid further dataloss:

Try:

1. Quit all open Applications
  2. Go to Apple > System Preferences > iCloud > Sign Out
  3. SafeBoot your computer: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455
  4. While in SafeBoot remove the following to the trash:
    • Macintosh HD > Library > Caches (contents of this folder, not the folder itself)
    • Home > Library > Application Support > AddressBook
    • Home > Library > Application Support > SyncServices (whole folder)
    • Home > Library > Preferences > com.apple.AddressBook (remove any and all files with this in the title)
    • Home > Library > Preferences > ByHost > com.apple.AddressBook (remove any and all files with this in the title)
    • Home > Library > Caches > com.apple.AddressBook (remove any and all files with this in the title)
  5. Restart the computer normally to take yourself out of SafeBoot
  6. Open the Address Book -- it should only have 2 contacts (You and Apple) if any.
  7. Restore your export

Assuming the contacts stay this time Go to Apple > System Preferences > iCloud > Sign In

If the same issue occurs reply back.

Hope that helps!

Contacts disappear after import into address book

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.