Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

digital camera doesn't show up in Finder

why does my digial camera not show up in Finder? (camera is Nikon D7000)

there are situtions when you don't want to download photos, sometimes I'm just doing tests, and want to see photos in the camera instead of downloading them first.. ( at any rate this should be my choice to make, not Apple's....;-)

and: I want to see the camera in the FINDER (not iPhoto or any other program where you have to "import" the photos.. I don't like those programs and never use them..)

it doesn't even show up in Adobe Bridge, for pete's sake.. this is ABSURD..

sorry, but on the pc you see it right away in Windows Explorer.... no reason whatsoever why the mac shouldn't do this also...

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 8:48 PM

22 replies

Jul 15, 2017 10:33 PM in response to fane_j

Thank you!! Thank you!!

This was the solution to my problem!!!

I had taken some pictures for a fashion designer and needed to send them to her.

My pictures were on the SD Card in the Cannon Camera and my MacBook wouldn't recognize it.

I checked the Hard Disks box in Finder Preferences (which was unchecked) and then I got a Hard Disk symbol on my screen saver.

Then when I attached the USB from the Cannon Camera to the MacBook everything worked

and my pictures went into Image Capture like they used to!!

Many, many thanks!!

Apr 11, 2012 4:26 PM in response to kali90

Most digital cameras (including Nikon) are not devices that show up in the Finder. (If you want to complain, complain to Nikon. Older Nikons had an option in the menus to set the camera as a "mass storage" device. Newer cameras do not have this feature.)

Use Image Capture. You can preview the images and download them (or not). You can also access some camera options, synchronize the camera's clock with your Mac, or operate the camera in tethered mode. Or you can set another application to launch whenever that specific camera is attached.

Apr 29, 2012 9:25 AM in response to Jeffrey Jones2

There's got to be a trick to mounting the camera. My Canon 50D showed up as an external HD on my friend's new iMac running Lion when we were in South Africa, and it shows up on my Windows 7 laptop. But on my mid-2011 21" iMac running Lion 10.7.3 it won't show up as an external HD or anything else, and I have to access it with iPhoto, or Graphic Converter, or Canon's proprietary software.

Someone out there know the answer?

May 8, 2012 9:37 AM in response to fane_j

I changed setting you mention (although I thought that applied strictly to what appears in DESKTOP, not all Finder windows/folders...) made no difference.. just connected camera, the mac still won't read it...

I do know about iPhoto, iMovie, i-whatever... I still would like to see camera in FINDER (or at the very least in Adobe Bridge.. ) what happens is simply that Apple has decided you can only download/see photos in the camera ONLY with APPLE software.. this ***** BIG TIME... there's no good reason at all why Apple would do a ****** thing like this.... how users pull/view photos from a camera should be the USER'S choice, not Apple's... (in general I don't like at all programs you have to "import" photos from, you don't get a choice as to where the photos are stored in yr HD.. I have a very large amount of photos, and have a specific organizing system, specif. way of naming the folders, etc.. and I need to choose exactly where the photos are stored.. )

(to responder who said it's a Nikon issue: so Nikon decided to design their cameras so you can see photos in Windows Explorer in Windows machines, but they deliberately decided they didn't want them showing up in Finder windows on the mac? find this a bit hard to believe.. am curious now, so will consult with Nikon, but I do find it hard to believe this is a Nikon decision...)

thank you...

Sep 28, 2012 9:39 AM in response to kali90

Try using image capture in your applications, this allows you to save to any folder/external drive. It would be helpful to have the camera show up on the desk top like any external drive but mine isn't doing it right now either. I feel like it has in past versions of my OS but maybe that was just a card reader... running 10.6.8 right now.

digital camera doesn't show up in Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.