Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I turn off iphone charging sound

I have purchased powermat and don't like the beeping ti makes duringthe night as charging turns on and off.

How can I disable the sounds please?

iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.1, PowerMat

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 9:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2013 10:25 AM

These are not solutions to the question raised. If you silence the phone, you will probably forget to unsilence it in the morning and people will complain all day that they are calling you and you aren't answering. The whole concept of "Do Not Disturb" is for the iPhone to keep it's sound off during certain periods. However, the "charging" sound isn't controlled by Do Not Disturb. While I think that's a bug, I'd settle for never hearing the charging sound.

Is there a way to change or silence this sound?

/Randy

27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2013 10:25 AM in response to roger987

These are not solutions to the question raised. If you silence the phone, you will probably forget to unsilence it in the morning and people will complain all day that they are calling you and you aren't answering. The whole concept of "Do Not Disturb" is for the iPhone to keep it's sound off during certain periods. However, the "charging" sound isn't controlled by Do Not Disturb. While I think that's a bug, I'd settle for never hearing the charging sound.

Is there a way to change or silence this sound?

/Randy

Jan 19, 2017 8:15 AM in response to Twist Idea

Thank you for this link. This is a great app to resolve this problem in certain circumstances. Primary issues with using this app to cover up for this bug include that the app has to be open and active, another screen cannot be displayed, like a clock, or screen turned off. Secondly audio recording files are created and need to be deleted to prevent using memory or compromise privacy. Third Security of unattended phone locking screen is prevented. Last immediate thought is that in as annoying as the beep or vibration every time the phone starts and stops charging, this solution requires the user to start the app and start a recording, then stop the recording and delete recording every time the phone is touched, so nearly as annoying as the beep, but much more user intensive. That all being said, for the few occasions that you don't mind doing all of that to stop the beep, it is a good choice (although I also found the app drops out intermittently, letting phone begin beeping again). Even better would be Apple fix the bug. Please everyone log a bug fix/feature request as indicated above. http://www.apple.com/feedback Thanks to Twist Idea for suggestion and IdrisSeabright for link.

Mar 20, 2017 12:33 PM in response to roger987

I discovered this problem it was keeping me awake at night when I used my mophie battery case. Today I discovered the induction charger pad needs a higher input and I was using the small apple phone charger USB adaptor. I plan to switch it out for my iPad charger tonight I think the problem was caused by intermittent charging between my mophie battery case and my phone. I'll post again if this doesn't fix it.

Mar 20, 2017 12:42 PM in response to paulp8822

paulp8822 wrote:

I discovered this problem it was keeping me awake at night when I used my mophie battery case. Today I discovered the induction charger pad needs a higher input and I was using the small apple phone charger USB adaptor. I plan to switch it out for my iPad charger tonight I think the problem was caused by intermittent charging between my mophie battery case and my phone. I'll post again if this doesn't fix it.

I've had a lot of problems with the mophie induction charger. I use an iPad charger but, unless I place the phone very carefully on the pad, it stops and starts. Sometimes I have to pick it up, put it down, nudge it one way or another for way to long before it stops. Incredibly annoying. The charger by my bed, however, is an induction charger I bought from Verizon, which holds the phone up at a slight angle. I've never had a problem with it. I love the mophie case. I'm not as enthusiastic about the charging pad. However, the case will work with most wireless chargers so, there are options.

Apr 2, 2017 11:42 AM in response to paulp8822

If the iPhone is making the charging sound and vibrating very frequently during the night, that indicates an issue with either the connection, or the power source.

Generally the iPhone will sound once, and not sound again until either the connection is severed between the iPhone and the power source, like a blackout or power outage, or the cable is removed from the iPhone and plugged in again.

If it keeps going off during the night it means there's an issue, and trying to silence the sound is just covering up a bigger issue, like a short in the connection or recurring power outages.

For what its worth, I plug my iPhone in at night on my night stand right next to my head, and I can tell you the only time it sounds off and vibrates is if there happens to be a power outage during the night.

Otherwise after initial connection, the iPhone should not be making any more sounds or vibrations.

Better to figure out what is causing the power to fluctuate like that or the connection to be reset, than trying to cover it up.

Mar 23, 2013 11:22 AM in response to Randy Saunders

Randy Saunders wrote:

Of course, I've put in feedback, and I suggest everyone else put in feedback. That's not the same as arguing that it isn't broken.

You asked if it was possible to change or silence the sound. I answered. Arguing here is pretty pointless. Either you're preaching to the choir or talking at people who don't care. No one here has any ability to change this. It's also a bit outside the pervue of this technical support forum.

Best of luck.

Mar 23, 2013 12:31 PM in response to whytobother

There are easier, software, solutions for those who wish to violate the terms of service for the device. ;-)

The requirements for Do Not Disturb should have been easy for Apple, there is already an implementation on the BlackBerry. It's just a clock-controlled mute switch. The implementation of Do Not Disturb is flawed, because they forgot that the Charging sound doesn't use the Notification service (or it's a flaw that the the Charging sound doesn't use the Notification service where Do Not Disturb could regulate it).

The answer to the original question should be "just use Do Not Disturb". The actual answer is "You can't". For some reason, AppleFans can't seem to admit that there are bugs in Apple products, much as they like to point out bugs in Redmond products. If you search in this forum, the question asked by Roger has been asked a dozen times. It's just a shame that we don't like the answer. Meg's feedback suggestion is the only outlet, and it's worth noting that the many feedback comments about nighttime silence probably led to the present, bug-infested, Do Not Disturb feature. Perhaps with more comments we could get it fixed.

/Randy

how do I turn off iphone charging sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.