Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I downloaded Lion onto my Mac, and now cannot open or access any of my Microsoft word documents or Power Points. Is there a fix for this? I need my documents

I downloaded Lion onto my Mac, and now cannot open or access any of my Microsoft word documents or Power Points. Is there a fix for this? I need my documents

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 10:01 PM

6 replies

Apr 10, 2012 10:24 PM in response to gmfrank

If it's because you were using Office 2004, the eight year old version of Office that was written when Intel processors were not used in Macs, then there will be no fix. Lion dropped support for PowerPC applications, as has been widely reported since Lion's release last August.

You can upgrade Office 2004 to Office 2008 or Office 2011. You can use iWorks 2009 that can open Microsoft files. You can use a number of free applications that are also capable of working with Microsoft documents. You can go back to Snow Leopard, if you have a backup. Or, if you have an external drive or room to add a partition to your current drive, you can install Snow Leopard on it.

Search these forums for more information. If this is your issue, it's been posted and answered several times a day since August 2011.

Apr 10, 2012 10:40 PM in response to gmfrank

Your documents are fine, you just Lion - compatible programs to work with them.

In addition to the others' suggestions I recommend Pages, Numbers, and Keynote - genuine Apple replacements for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint respectively. They can all read and save MS compatible formats.

Office 2011 is an option, but Apple's solutions have been developed to be more suitable for Lion. I don't miss Office one bit.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.