Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with mac mail and forwarding e-mail messages

When I forward e-mails using mail, the messages come through as attachments and not "inline". Yesterday I simply forwarded a mail with two attachments. It was recieved by an outlook user with 8 attachments. The outlook user then has to open all of these html attachments to find the mail and then open them all again to find the attachments. It is VERY time consuming. I believe that e-mail should save time not waste time!

How do I fix this problem?

Mac Book, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 2:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 3:51 AM

The distinction between "inline" & "attachment" in standard, non-propietary email systems is illusory. All email attachments (essentially everything besides plain text) is encoded with MIME headers that tell the receiving email client application various things about them, including if they are intended to be displayed inline in the message body or not.

However, the email client can ignore this & display parts of the message differently for a variety of reasons, including the inability to support some attachment type at all or in the message window.

There isn't really anything you can do about this since the problem is not in Mail.app itself but in the way different email clients handle received messages.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2012 3:51 AM in response to da ferret

The distinction between "inline" & "attachment" in standard, non-propietary email systems is illusory. All email attachments (essentially everything besides plain text) is encoded with MIME headers that tell the receiving email client application various things about them, including if they are intended to be displayed inline in the message body or not.

However, the email client can ignore this & display parts of the message differently for a variety of reasons, including the inability to support some attachment type at all or in the message window.

There isn't really anything you can do about this since the problem is not in Mail.app itself but in the way different email clients handle received messages.

Problem with mac mail and forwarding e-mail messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.