Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does AirPlay work with AppleTV directly connected to the Internet?

In order to get a "better" connection to the Internet, I had my AppleTV directly connected to the Internet. I did this so that my movie viewing using NetFlix would work well.

However, I have now discovered that with the AppleTV directly connected to the Internet, AirPlay does not work. Should it? Or does AppleTV have to be set up for WiFi only for Airplay to work.

Seems like both should work, but they don't. Thanks.

Mac OS X (10.6.4), Three generations of iPads

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 6:43 AM

4 replies

Apr 12, 2012 7:40 AM in response to RoyWagner

Ah! Are your wifi and ethernet networks bridged or is your wifi on a different subnet (are you using your wifi in router mode). The iOS device from where AirPlay is originating must be on the same subnet (IP is the same up to the last section).

For example, if your wired network is 10.0.0.x and yoru wifi is 192.168.1.x it would not work. I have setup my wireless router in bridged mode to allow this to work. My Apple TV is wired and is still accessible via the wifi network.

As, Alley_Cat stated, it may be good to restart your router and devices to reset them too.

Does AirPlay work with AppleTV directly connected to the Internet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.