Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can the 4S iphone connect to the 4G network?

Yesterday I was informed by an Apple rep over the chat support site, that the 4S when upgrade with the iOS 5.1. That it does indeed connect to the 4G network. I find it very strange that the carriers have no information on this. If Apple has a iphone that connects to the 4G network. How come they have not informed the carriers? I just spoke with Verizon and they have no information of this that I was informed of yesterday by Apple. I upgraded my daughters phone to an iphone 4S 16G and could not get the promotion, because as far as Verizon understood this phone only operates on the 3G network. Can someone please school me on this issue. I am so darn confused!

Thanks,

Seaham

iPhone 4S

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 7:29 AM

14 replies

Apr 11, 2012 8:35 AM in response to Seaham

I had a talk about this with our Verizon rep last week. I was told that one of the confusing points is the way the term "4G" has been abused by the various cell providers. My personal experience has been that Verizon, in our area, does have an active and very good 4G LTE network. Download speeds are much improved. I've tested this with 'droid devices. As I understand it, there is not an LTE compatible iPhone. The iOS devices that ATT calls "4G" actually connects to their existing network which is not LTE, and which Verizon calls 3G. I'm not an ATT hater ( they have very good customer service for Enterprise), and my experience is almost 100% with VZW, so if an ATT expert can correct or append to what I have said, it would be welcome😉

Apr 11, 2012 10:18 AM in response to Bonesaw1962

Bonesaw1962 wrote:

The iOS devices that ATT calls "4G" actually connects to their existing network which is not LTE, and which Verizon calls 3G. I'm not an ATT hater

Actually... the misleading information being shared does infact make you look like an AT&T hater.

A simple google search would have revealed the answer.

The 4S is an HSPA+ compatible device.

In the US, only AT&T and TMobile have HSPA+ networks (some of the smaller regional carriers may as well, but they are not relevant for this discussion). Only AT&T's network has compatible 3G/HSPA+ frequencies to work with the iPhone.

Verizon has nothing compatible or comparable with AT&T's HSPA+ network. Both AT&T and Verizon have LTE networks. The ONLY device Apple currently offers that is LTE compatible is the new iPad.

The 4S is technically (and has always been) a 4G device on the AT&T network. The only change in iOS5.1 is that when connected to a HSPA+ network it now displays the "4G" icon. NOTHING has changed in the devices hardware or the speed at which it connects to the network. A 4S running iOS5 or 5.01 will connect and download data via AT&T's network at the exact same speed as a 4S run iOS5.1.

Apr 11, 2012 10:43 AM in response to diesel vdub

Thanks for all the information so far. However, my question is this. If Apple say that this iOS 5.1 update allows the 4S to connect to the 4G network. Does this make the device 4G compatible and shouldn't this information be passed on to the carriers? I was informed of this update by Apple not the carrier. I then verified it last night on the device when it displayed the 4G icon instead of the 3G.

Apr 11, 2012 1:22 PM in response to KiltedTim

Thanks for the information. I am so sorry if I seem to be stupid about all this, but I really don't know what all this (HSPA+, ITU, LTE, etc..) means. So, Verizon's 4G network is LTE ? All I know is that my daughter's iphone 4S after updating to the iOS 5.1 while in the WIFI mode. Connected to something that cause her phone to show the 4G icon yesterday. Crazy, right! I am just trying to understand it all. It just seems that Verizon has not been informed or they claim that to the customer. It is really great to come to a community where people are willing to pass on their knowledge of the issue. thank you so much.

Apr 11, 2012 1:32 PM in response to diesel vdub

What? My daughters phone, which is under my plan from Verizon. I am not an AT&T customer. I am responding to what I was informed by Apple, not AT&T or Verizon. However, I believe Verzion has been most helpful on their behalf. It could very weel have been that I explained it incorrect to them. Why would I stop calling them and they are my wireless provider? Thanks for your response. Have a great day.

Apr 11, 2012 1:43 PM in response to Seaham

Okay... either you're mistaken about which carrier the device is being used with or someone is mistaken about what is showing on the display. The iPhone will only display 4G when connected to an AT&T HSPA+ network. The Verizon iPhone cannot connect to the AT&T HSPA+ network, as Verizon will not unlock the GSM portion for connecting to US carriers.

Apr 11, 2012 1:45 PM in response to Seaham

Seaham wrote:

Thanks for the information. I am so sorry if I seem to be stupid about all this, but I really don't know what all this (HSPA+, ITU, LTE, etc..) means. So, Verizon's 4G network is LTE ?

It's not stupid. The acronyms are confusing as all get-out to most mortals. The ITU is the standard body that defines things like '3G', '4G', etc.

HSPA+ is basically an enhancement of '3G', but is significantly faster. Fast enough that it pushes it into '4G' territory. On AT&T I normally see download speeds of 8 or 9 Mbps. LTE and WiMax are competing '4G' standards. WiMax appears to be dead on arrival. Most carriers are opting for LTE. It is roughly twice as fast as HSPA+ (in theory).

None of those actually meet the original specification for 4G, which called for tranfer rates of 100Mbps when mobile and 1Gbps when stationary.

4G has largely been reduced to a marketing term meaning 'faster than our old network'.

Not sure why your daughter's phone would have displayed a 4G indicator. It shouldn't have. Probably just a momentary glitch.

Apr 11, 2012 1:50 PM in response to Seaham

If you are absolutely certain your agreement is with VZW, I'd talk to them. My experience has been is that there is a "support gap" between Apple Support and support offered by the cell provider, whoever it might be.....no ones fault, it just exists... If your agreement is with VZW talk to them, or better yet go into one of their stores and talk to their tech support guys.

May 17, 2012 11:27 AM in response to Seaham

Here's what Verizon says:

Please hold for a Verizon Wireless sales representative to assist you with your order. Thank you for your patience.

You are now chatting with 'Alina'

Alina: Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service. May I help you with your order today?

You: I've been reading about the verizon "4G LTE" network. Will an Applie iphone 4S take advantage of this new network and improved speed?

Alina: I'd be happy to assist you.

Alina: No, the iPhone 4S is a 3G device. It doesn't have the capability of 4G LTE.

You: thank you

Aug 10, 2012 9:03 AM in response to Bonesaw1962

remember, the term '4g" is nothing more than marketing (when it comes to the networks) as you say, there are no rules governing such terminology... and in that light, the term "LTE" is also marketing fluff... it is just a name of their version...

same with ATT's version... just all marketing... technically there are vast differences in the networks though, there are good and bad that come with both....

one thing you can tell though is the world is going with pretty much one standard system (there are a few exceptions)... and the rest of the developed world is light years ahead of the U.S. in mobile network fill out and network tech adoption....

mainly because of our monopoly networks we left in place in the U.S. for far too long...

Can the 4S iphone connect to the 4G network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.