Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have 10.5.8 do I still need to upgrade and or purchase a new operating system and I don't know if I have enough memory to do so. what will happen if I don't move to the cloud?

I have 10.5.8 system, what will happen if I don't change to icloud? I don't think I have enough memory to upgrade and or purchase the new operating system, what do I need to do?

iMac (24-inch), Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 8:04 AM

4 replies

Apr 11, 2012 8:13 AM in response to psquared210

I don't know if you have enough memory either. You need Lion to use iCloud and Lion can theoretically run on even the earliest 24" iMac, but you may not be satisfied with its performance.

Consider 4 GB a realistic minimum. Check your  menu > "About this Mac" to determine the memory you have. If you click "More Info..." a hardware profile will appear with your exact model number. If you report what that is people will be able to determine the maximum amount of memory your iMac can address. The 24 inch iMac's maximum memory limit ranges from 3 GB (uncomfortably small) to 8 GB (plenty).

Apr 11, 2012 10:39 AM in response to psquared210

You can setup an iCloud eMail account.

Do not delete the old account yet.

I understand .mac mail will still come through. Do not delete the old account yet.

You cannot use .mac or MobileMe as type of Account, you have to choose IMAP when setting up, otherwise Mail is hard coded to change imap.mail.me.com to mail.me.com & smtp.mail.me.com to smtp.me.com, no matter what you try to enter.

iCloud Mail setup, do not choose .mac or MobileMe as type, but choose IMAP...

On second step where it asks "Description", it has to be a unique name, but you can still use your email address.

IMAP (Incoming Mail Server) information:

•Server name: imap.mail.me.com

•SSL Required: Yes

•Port: 993

Username: example@me.com (use your @me.com address from your iCloud account)

•Password: Your iCloud password

SMTP (outgoing mail server) information:

•Server name: smtp.mail.me.com

•SSL Required: Yes

•Port: 587

•SMTP Authentication Required: Yes

Username: example@me.com (use your @me.com address from your iCloud account)

•Password: Your iCloud password

I have 10.5.8 do I still need to upgrade and or purchase a new operating system and I don't know if I have enough memory to do so. what will happen if I don't move to the cloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.