Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can an old mac book pro be refurbished to extend the life? Is it worth it?

I have a 2008 Macbook Pro...it's getting slower and the dvd drive no longer works very well. I plan to buy a new one, but I'm wondering if I can get this one refurbished (and delete all of my info) and give it to my parents. Is it even worth trying or cheaper/better to just buy them a new one? Thanks

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 10:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 10:29 AM

Yes, but the costs for components wouldn't make such refurbishing worthwhile.

5 replies

Apr 11, 2012 12:13 PM in response to wrenne

Assuming everything else is working satisfactorily, a new optical drive and an new HDD would be about $200 and these things can be installed by oneself (I have done it). Compare that with the cost of a new MBP and make your decision accordingly.

I have a 2006 MBP and it works as well as it did the day it came out of the box. Yes, it has had the optical drive and the HDD replaced.

Ciao.

Apr 11, 2012 3:15 PM in response to wrenne

For the Optical drive check out iFixit. They may have one that fits your model MBP. If not, use a Google search. iFixit will have installation instructions.

For the HDD, OWC is a good source and they also provide instructions in a video format. OWC specializes in Macs and have good customer support and get my endorsement. Their prices are good but not rock bottom. Newegg and Amazon will be cheaper.

Make certain that the components you get are the correct ones, especially for the optical drive. It may look the same but it may not be the right one.

Ciao.

Can an old mac book pro be refurbished to extend the life? Is it worth it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.