Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my ipod show as a storage device

Why does my ipod show as a storage device in control panel?

iPod nano, Windows 7

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 1:31 PM

10 replies

Apr 11, 2012 2:05 PM in response to John Galt

Thanks John, but that's not what happened. I had to do a system restore over the weekend so, I had to install itunes, it works fine with my iphone, my iphone has songs I downloaded before the restore. This is the 1st time I've ever seen my ipod used as a storage or back up. I used to plug it in and all my songs showed up and now nothing in the library but the songs are on my ipod and I don't want to lose them.

Apr 12, 2012 6:21 PM in response to John Galt

Hi John, I REALLY appreciate you getting back to me. I actually got it all to work today, all songs are backed up via wi fi and synced in ipod, itunes and iphone. Don't ask me how I did it I definitely reset the ipod, I remember updating an IEEE driver and choosing the driver locally and everything showed up under the ipod device in itunes. Didn't have to log out or back in, again many thanks. I'm pretty sure you know how to do it, but if anyone needs some help I'd gladly try to assist.Thanks again

Apr 12, 2012 6:35 PM in response to alwayslostandconfused

Glad you got it sorted out!

Remember the iPod is not a backup device, so routine backups for your computer are a must. There are about a dozen questions a day from people whose hard disk crashed and they're wondering how to copy their iPod content to their computer, which can be difficult or impossible.

When you said you did a "system restore" I thought you were going to be in for some bad news 😮

Why does my ipod show as a storage device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.