Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"No DNS servers" and "Internet connection" problems with Comcast?

Hi everyone,

I just bought a new AirPort Express and Comcast is my ISP. I ditched my old Belkin wireless router, connected the Comcast modem directly to my AirPort Express, and it appears to be working great. I can access the internet wirelessly and also play music using AirPlay through my stereo speakers.

However, when I open the AirPort Utility, the utility tells me that I have two problems with my AirPort Express:

1. Apparently I have no internet connection (the utility tells me that "Your AirPort base station does not have a valid IP address."), even though I can access the internet just fine.
  2. I don't appear to have any DNS server addresses (the utility tells me that "This AirPort base station doesn't have any DNS server addresses and might have trouble connecting to the internet.")

Does anyone know if these are serious problems that I need to address, or can they be ignored? I don't want to start tinkering with the AirPort Express's settings until I am better informed, because right now everything is working as far as my access to the internet is concerned.

Thank you in advance for your help with this! Attached is a screenshot of what my AirPort Utility screen looks like:

User uploaded file

AirPort Express 802.11n Wi-Fi-OTHER

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 2:20 PM

26 replies

Mar 18, 2017 10:29 PM in response to Sammy Stefanki

I found another solution. I tried Tesserax's recommendation a couple of times, but to no avail. So, since my Airport was complaining about no DNS, I did the following:

- Opened up the AirPort Utility

- Clicked on the errant AirPort in the utility, and selected the small 'edit' box

- Selected the 'Internet' tab

- I added Google's free DNS services under the Internet DNS Servers Setttings and IPv6 DNS Services. These can be found at this link: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

In my case, I added:

two DNS Services: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

two IPv6 DNS Services: 2001:4860:4860::8888 and 2001:4860:4860::8844

Then I made sure to save this and update my AirPort's settings.

Voila! My problem was solved! Hope this helps someone!

Apr 11, 2012 2:25 PM in response to Sammy Stefanki

Anytime you change networking hardware, it is always a good idea to perform a complete power recycle of your networking components.

I would recommend that you do the following as a minimum:

• Power-down the modem, AirPort base station, and computer(s).
  • Disconnect the AirPort base station from the Internet broadband modem.
  • While all of the devices are powered-down, perform a "factory default" reset on the base station. This will get it back to its "out-of-the-box" configuration and make setting it up much easier, especially if you use the "Assist me" process within the AirPort Utility. (ref: Resetting an AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule)
  • After the base station resets, go ahead and power it back down.
  • Reconnect the AirPort base station to the Internet broadband modem. For the Extreme and Time Capsule, be sure to connect the cable to the base station's WAN (circle-of-dots) port.
  • Power-up the modem; wait at least 10-15 minutes to allow it adequate time to initialize.
  • Power-up the AirPort base station; wait at least 5-10 minutes. Note: The AirPort's status light may continue to flash amber after it has intialized. That is because, there may be some additional configuration items necessary, like setting up wireless security, before the overall setup is completed to get a green status.
  • Power-up your computer(s).

In this basic configuration, the AirPort base station will broadcast an unsecured wireless network with a Network Name (SSID) of Apple Network NNNNNN. Network clients, connected to the base station either by wire or wireless, should now be able to access the Internet through the ISP's modem. Once Internet connectivity has been verified, you can use the AirPort Utility to configure the base station for wireless security and any other desired options. Please post back your results.

Apr 12, 2012 2:57 AM in response to Tesserax

Tesserax (since you seem to be the wireless networking guru), I have one other question I was hoping to ask. After buying my new AirPort Express, I now have an extra Belkin wireless router lying around. Is there a way to use the Belkin router to extend my AirPort Express-created network? I have read articles about how the AirPort Express can be used to extend a pre-existing wireless network, but nothing about third-party routers being used to extend a network where an AirPort Express is the primary router.

Thanks for your help!

Apr 12, 2012 10:34 PM in response to Tesserax

I have a similar problem and resetting the Airport Extreme (just 1 month old) back to default settings and following all the above directions doesn't solve the problem.

I have Comcast Xfinity service and a Motorola SURFboard SB5101 cable modem. I get a full connection to the internet with my MacBook Pro connected directly to the modem with a ethernet cable. When I move the ethernet cable to the Airport Extreme's WAN port (the one with a "circle of dots" above the connector and closest to the power connector), I get a flashing amber with 2 errors: "no internet connection" and "no DNS servers." The WAN port has the green LED lit so it looks like the cable is properly attached, but still no go.

I've also tried copying down the network parameters (IP address, mask, router & DNS) from the MacBook Pro's network panel (while connected to the modem). Entering these directly into the Airport Extreme (after selecting "static IP) doesn't result in a connection either.

Any idea as to what I should try next?

Apr 12, 2012 10:39 PM in response to BrianCur

Hi Brian,

I am by NO MEANS an expert, so take this with a big grain of salt. But what eventually worked for me was the following:

• Resetting everything as per Tesserax's suggestions;
  • Leaving everything plugged in and turned on;
  • Then calling Comcast and having them send an external reset signal from their headquarters directly to my modem;
  • Then unplugging the modem for 30 seconds and plugging it back in;
  • Unplugging the AirPort Express from the wall and plugging it back in.

After Comcast reset everything remotely, my modem restarted and the AirPort Express picked up all its DNS servers and IP addresses and everything. Again, I'm not an expert in this at all, but what appeared to do the trick was resetting my Comcast modem while the AirPort Express was plugged in. I don't know if that will work for you or if you have already tried it, but it may be worth a shot...

Jun 16, 2012 3:56 PM in response to Sammy Stefanki

After a switch to a new Comcast cable modem, had all kinds of trouble with the Airport Extreme. Self-assinge IP address, no DNS servers, etc. Tried many different posters' advice.

What did it was the Airport Utility Restore Default Settings under the Base Station tab. I rebuilt my network - same name, same password and security, and all devices - MacBook, IPhones and IPads all recognized and connected. Thanks,

Sep 19, 2012 4:37 PM in response to Sammy Stefanki

Ok, this is what worked for me.

On my iPhone 4S there was initially no problem. The iPad 3 however was giving the perpetual login to a non-existant server and Dropping the Wi-Fi connection immediately. I reset the Apple airport and immediately the iPhone 4S started to give this problem. However the iPad started working. I turned the iPhone 4S Wi-Fi on and off and got my connection back and then have both working. I have no idea how this can be the case, But it did work for me.

Oct 20, 2012 12:44 PM in response to Sammy Stefanki

Hello Everyone

I had the same problem when comcast sent me these new cable boxes that went between..

*** THE MODEM AND THE TV ***

not between the ... wall and the modem!

After I reconected everything this way, my airport still did not work properly. I could connect via my laptop, but couldnt acces wifi from my tablet, Ipad, Iphone or blacberry in the house. I also got the

"Your AirPort base station does not have a valid IP address."

everytime I turned the macbook on.

I tried disconnecting everything, modem, airport, etc. waiting 10 second, but after a few minutes the same problem occured!😕

****DONT FORGET TO SAVE THE SETTINGS BEFORE YOU RE-INITALIZE THE AIRPORT***

SOLUTION!!!!!

I remembered the airport has a hard reset small hole in the back of the unit. Stick a pin sized object in there till you see the airport orange light flicker quickly. This indicates she is back to the default settings.

I then went and manually set her up with the AIRPORT UTILITY app. Then opened my airport settings doc so that all names, passwords, were kept the same. And KABOOM....😀

shes back to green and working perfectly😎

I dont know if the HARD RESET was mentioned here, so I did just incase.

Hope this helps..Great day everyone🙂

Apr 20, 2013 11:20 AM in response to Sammy Stefanki

Hello - new to the forum, have gotten lots of info while reading and appreciate the time and info people share.

i am in the opposite situation in that I have a linksys router as my main network and am trying to use a new siport express to extend the network (really just to facilitate a connection to a network stereo.)

it worked fine initially doing the setup with airport utility on my macbook pro to extend the network. then it stopped working and i get the no dns servers error and cannot seem to find a solution.

thoughts? do i need to ditch the linksys and just get another aiport express? i'd rather not as it will put me out both the cost of the new router and the old.

thanks for any suggestions.

"No DNS servers" and "Internet connection" problems with Comcast?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.