Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Palm TREO

I am looking at purchasing the Treo smartphone. I have been told I will need a Pocket Mac application to sync this device to my Power Book G4. Should I put all my contacts in Address Book for smooth transfer? Also, should I set up MS Entourage to use for mail.

Power Book G4 Mac OS X (10.4.5)

Posted on Mar 2, 2006 2:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2006 4:51 PM

From your posting I was not 100% sure if you were asking about sync'ing mail or addresses. Anyway you can sync your address book on the Treo to you Mac using your Treo Palm software, (which will install the Palm desktop, Hotsync Manager and Transport Manager) then you just need .Mac and Sync, which come as part of the purchase of the PowerBook. You don't need to buy any pocket mac application that I am aware of.

If you are talking of sync'ing mail, I have not tried getting mail with the built in mail application on the Treo, but it ought to work O.K. Personally I bought Snapper Mail for the Treo as it supports IMAP sync'ing to the .Mac mail and works real well.

When you go for mail with the Treo, it will either use up minutes on your phone while you are connected to the internet or you will have to pay for the cell phone companies data program.

Hope that helps.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2006 4:51 PM in response to Dow L

From your posting I was not 100% sure if you were asking about sync'ing mail or addresses. Anyway you can sync your address book on the Treo to you Mac using your Treo Palm software, (which will install the Palm desktop, Hotsync Manager and Transport Manager) then you just need .Mac and Sync, which come as part of the purchase of the PowerBook. You don't need to buy any pocket mac application that I am aware of.

If you are talking of sync'ing mail, I have not tried getting mail with the built in mail application on the Treo, but it ought to work O.K. Personally I bought Snapper Mail for the Treo as it supports IMAP sync'ing to the .Mac mail and works real well.

When you go for mail with the Treo, it will either use up minutes on your phone while you are connected to the internet or you will have to pay for the cell phone companies data program.

Hope that helps.

Mar 2, 2006 5:14 PM in response to Dow L

Welcome to Apple Discussions.

Information Appliance Associates, the publishers of the PocketMac software line, do not offer a Palm solution. The party who referred to them must have actually been describing the Missing Sync for Palm OS from Mark/Space:

http://www.markspace.com/missingsync_palmos.php

It is not required, but it is a much more flexible, configurable and reliable program than iSync with regard to the synchronization of Palm handheld organizers and smartphones.

Like iSync—which is used to synchronize your handheld with iCal and the Address Book—it provides an alternative to the Palm Desktop PIM. Unlike iSync, it provides three conduits—Mark/Space Contacts, Events and Tasks—and does not require either the Transport Monitor or HotSync Manager to handle synchronization events.

You can find many more posts regarding all of these applications in the iSync discussion area, here:

http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=731

Palm TREO

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.