Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete outgoing mail server on iphone

about 6 months ago my mother in law purchased an Iphone. I set up her email for her using a pop 3. At the time I could not get the godaddy outgoing email server to work so I used my local ISP provied outgoing smtp server with my user name and password.

Now my mother in law moved to a different sate and she got a new iphone but my outgoing mail server still shows up as the primary outgoing mail server so she still needs my user name and password.

Also on my iphone I noticed there are 8 "other smtp servers" in addition to the primary. I want to delete them all.

How do I do this?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 2:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 10:17 AM

Easy solution. Tap on the outgoing mail server that you want to delete (i.e. smtp.talktalk.net). The just add any random letter to the end (i.e. smtp.talktalk.netko). It will eventually prompt you to save. Once you have saved it you should be able to simply delete it. (I just deleted six identical ones which were annoying me!!!)

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2012 10:17 AM in response to sseligson

Easy solution. Tap on the outgoing mail server that you want to delete (i.e. smtp.talktalk.net). The just add any random letter to the end (i.e. smtp.talktalk.netko). It will eventually prompt you to save. Once you have saved it you should be able to simply delete it. (I just deleted six identical ones which were annoying me!!!)

May 15, 2017 1:46 PM in response to sseligson

On 10.3.1 this worked for me:

1. Have the preferred smtp server as a primary smtp server on one account
2. On the account with the wrong and undeletable smtp server, change the info of the primary server to the preferred smtp server. Yes, this will create a duplicate, don’t worry. Also, in the list of other smtp servers toggle the preferred smtp server ON for this account.
3. Go back back to the first account and see that the duplicate smtp server in the list of other smtp servers no longer has the warning ‘This server cannot be modified because it is the primary outgoing server for the account blahblahblah’
4. Change the Host Name to an invalid server name and save (Tap Done, OK on the warning, Done again and Save)
5. The now broken duplicate smtp server has a Delete Server button on the bottom of its page

Dec 3, 2012 3:20 PM in response to sseligson

Ok, I have a variation on this problem. I keep getting a message that mail can't be sent using an smtp server I once used. This smtp server is not even listed in my smtp list though, so how do I delete?

iPhone 5 running iOS 6.01 with iCloud linked to one mac with Mountain Lion and another running Lion plus 2 iPads.

Apr 5, 2016 10:08 AM in response to sseligson

AnimalFreeride is 100% correct! I had about 20 "unused" outbound servers just sitting there with the same name.

Presumably, the sub-par programmers that made the entire mail app on the iphone (no spam handling, IMAP doesn't search, blah blah) decided to use the server name as the "unique" key to figure out which entry to delete.

When they search and find more than one entry, they just don't show the delete button. Classy. That's immensely lazy code, "I don't want to solve this, so I'll just make it so you can't do it."

In any event - when you do what AnimalFreeride (God Bless you, AnimalFreeride!) pointed out, and add a few letters -- your target entry is now "unique" and presto -- the lazy coder's Delete button reappears.

I just added this entry to show that it still is a problem years later, and also to explain to "nervous nerds" that it's a safe way to clear the list.

Delete outgoing mail server on iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.