Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you add attachments to mail on the iPad

iPad, iOS 5.1

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 5:48 PM

8 replies

Apr 11, 2012 5:53 PM in response to wbs210

You can only send an attachment from the app in which the attachment is saved. For example - you email a photo from the photos app - a Pages document from the Pages app.

All apps that allow for emailing files have an action icon at the top - an arrow icon or a tool icon that you can tap on and then follow the options from there.

Nov 7, 2012 11:12 AM in response to david from flower mound

I'm trying to do this, too - I've never used an iPad, it's my wife's, so I have no idea whatsoever how it works. (It's new, so she isn't much the wiser either.)

I've created a pdf file on my MacBook and emailed it to her. Where is it on her iPad? Can she save it onto the Desktop? Into a folder? If she then wants to send it to someone else, from what I understand (above) it has to be sent from within the app (whatever that app may be). How do we do that? Where do we click? It has to be attached to an email, of course, so the recipient knows whats' going on - how is that done? Is there a manual...?

Sorry to sound so ignorant, but I haven't a clue...

Apr 15, 2013 3:46 PM in response to mbahundra

This is off the topic of adding attachments to email but the attachment will be an icon in the email document until you open it in another app with the curved arrow tool at the top of the document view in email. From there, you can send it to any other iOS applicattion, such as Pages, iBooks or QuickofficeHD. The eligible application depends on the document type. There is no file system in iOS per se, a document lives in the cloud or within an application, there is no folder to put a document into, except where applications have a folder system.

Apr 15, 2013 3:57 PM in response to wbs210

I'd like to know a better way to add multiple attachments to email too. I have to use DropBox to copy-paste links into an email and it takes quite a lot of flipping between the DropBox app and email to do it. It can be a problem for some of my customers when their firewall policies don't allow them to access dropbox.com.

iOS is simply not sufficient for business use with this kind of interface. You can only attach photos to email from within the email application and that keeps iOS in the toy department.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.