Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't install Mac OS 9 on my iMac G4 17" 800Mhz.

Hello!

I've just installed Mac OS X Tiger on my iMac G4 17" i know Tiger is outdated, but it's faster than Leopard and Tiger still runs fine.

now i tried to install Mac OS 9 too. For some performance reasons. But after the Welcome Screen, the Display turns black and i can't see nothing 😀

It's the original Mac OS 9 CD from the iMac G4. And it's the original rom, i never changed anything. Maybe Mac OS 9 doesn't have the right kext for the iMac ?!

Maybe you know how to fix it?! It would be awesome!
Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11), iMac G4 17" 800MHz

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 5:20 PM

8 replies

Apr 12, 2012 11:58 AM in response to countergame

Are you sure that OS 9.2.2 Software Install CD is the one that originally came with that machine? Reason I ask - one from a different model may be able to boot the machine, but will often result in monitor problems. The OS ( install disks that come with a Mac are specific to it, and generally can not successfully run a different model - it just doesn't include the necessary components for the different hardware.

If it is the correct disk, you might try resetting ("zapping") the PRAM in the process of booting the machine to the CD.

Apr 12, 2012 2:17 PM in response to Don Archibald

Yes it's the original CD, it was in the box too. It bought in the Apple Store back in 2002/03? Can't remember. But Mac OS 9 was installed on this machine with OS X Jaguar... But i had to format the HD to install Panther.

But the funny thing is Mac OS 9 already had the right res. on the welcome screen, but after some seconds the display turns black..

I already reseted the PRAM.. But it still doesn't work..

Apr 15, 2012 12:22 PM in response to countergame

I can not think of any specific reason that machine should not be able to boot to its original OS 9.2.2 Software Install CD.

Possibilities...

• The internal battery may need changing. One that is too weak or dead may cause booting problems.

• If the video card in the machine is not the original one, the software elements in the OS on the OS 9.2.2 Software Install CD may not be able to support it.

I can't install Mac OS 9 on my iMac G4 17" 800Mhz.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.