Related Article: About the security content of Java for OS X Lion 2012-002 and Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 7

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

should i be worried about flashback virus?

MacBook

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 5:34 PM

4 replies

Apr 12, 2012 1:11 PM in response to wmuotstudent

A malware attack such as this has even greater odds of success on Mac OS X than it does on a Windows system. The Mac OS X system itself is not less secure or prone to infection than Windows per se, but the Mac culture is conditioned to believe the OS is virtually invulnerable. Fewer users have any security software installed to protect their Mac OS X systems, and Mac OS X users are more likely to click links and open files without thinking twice.

It doesn’t help anything that Apple perpetuates the myth of invulnerability. It takes time to develop a patch, but as soon as Apple was aware that the threat existed, it should have proactively communicated to Mac OS X users to make them aware. In fact, it should have provided users with instructions to disable Java and mitigate the threat pending a patch to resolve the issue. The fact that it didn’t is probably a contributing factor to why the Flashback botnet is as large as it is.

It has affected the LARGEST percentage of users of any virus in history. Obviously windows having 95% share would mean more pc's can be hit by a virus, but as far as percentage wise, no windows OS has ever been hit this hard.

So I would say yes, be worried, don't allow Allan trick you into the exact mentallity in which allowed this virus to bread so heavily in the first place.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.