Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I own a MacBook Pro 13 inch [dec 2009] 4gb ram. I'm upgrading it to 8gb. Can I increase the speed of the ram from 1066 to 1333 Mhz..?.

I own a MacBook Pro 13 inch [dec 2009] 4gb ram. I'm upgrading it to 8gb. Can I increase the speed of the ram from 1066 to 1333 Mhz..?

Which is the best company and is it necessary to buy it from the Apple store.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 8:48 PM

11 replies

Apr 11, 2012 8:54 PM in response to Sujeetk

Do not install RAM that does not meet the specs recommended in your computer's user guide. Installing memory with a higher speed rating will not make the computer faster, and it may not even run at all. Adding slower rated RAM will make the computer run slower.

Recommended places are DataMem and OWC.

The actual brand of RAM is not important. What is important is purchasing from reliable vendors and buying a product that carries a manufacturer's Lifetime Warranty.

Apr 11, 2012 8:54 PM in response to Sujeetk

No. Memory must match the speed of the system bus, which cannot be changed.

Be sure to buy the correct memory, since an improper rating will result in an unreliable system, if it works at all.

Buy from Crucial or OWC. You will pay about four times as much if you buy it from Apple. Third party memory does not void your Mac's warranty.

Apr 11, 2012 8:56 PM in response to Sujeetk

Nope. At least not if you want to ensure full system stability. Theoretically, the faster RAM will run OK at a slower speed, but there is no hard and fast guarantee that will be always so. The safest bet is to respect the official specs from Apple and buy the correct RAM sticks.

There are many reputable RAM makers: Kingston, Crucial, Corsair, to name a few. All or most will offer lifetime warranty, which is more than Apple (just a year or 3, IF you purchase AppleCare). And ALL will be significantly less expensive than Apple. After all, Apple doesn't make RAM; just purchases in bulk, relabels and sticks you with the extra cost.

Apr 11, 2012 9:03 PM in response to Sujeetk

Let's clear the air here between fact and fiction.

1. Brand of RAM has little if anything to do with its quality.
  2. A reliable vendor is more important that brand of RAM.
  3. Installing faster rated RAM than required for your computer doesn't result in a faster computer. The RAM still runs at the speed of the system's memory bus.
  4. Installing slower rated RAM than required for your computer will make the computer run slower.
  5. Using faster rated RAM is a tricky business. Sometimes it will work and sometimes it will not work. This may be due to other factors related to your computer's memory bus speed and clock speed as well as other characteristics of the RAM such as CAS Latency (CL.)
  6. The reliable thing to do is use RAM that meets the specifications set for your computer. That information is found in either the user manual or the system specs.

May 24, 2015 11:11 AM in response to Kappy

1. Brand of RAM has little if anything to do with its quality.
  2. A reliable vendor is more important that brand of RAM.

This is hilarious -- it reminds me of an Orwell novel.If the brand of RAM is not important, why is the vendor of the RAM important? So he will ship it to you in a better box? What would be an "unreliable" vendor? Some guy hawking RAM out of a cardboard box on the street corner? Seems to me that I wouldn't be buying anything from him, let alone RAM.

Seems to me that if what brand of RAM you buy has little to do with its quality, implying pretty much all brands are about the same, then surely it would make sense to find the LOWEST PRICE for the RAM, regardless for brand, and then find someone selling it for that price. If they don't rip you off with shipping, then isn't that the ONLY logical solution to buy RAM?

May 24, 2015 4:56 PM in response to Nicholas Robinson1

What, do you think I wander about looking for three-year old posts to comment on? It showed up in a search related to my problem. I have no idea why Apple keeps posts from three years ago on their support site, but there it is, so I commented on it. There were no other posts that came close to addressing my issue, but I certainly wasn't trolling.

Brand is like "Samsung."

Vendor is like "Mac Mall."

Good enough for you?

I own a MacBook Pro 13 inch [dec 2009] 4gb ram. I'm upgrading it to 8gb. Can I increase the speed of the ram from 1066 to 1333 Mhz..?.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.