Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tried loading iLife '11: Why does application iPhoto not open and say it may be damaged or incomplete?

I tried loading an iLife '11 Replacement DVD from Apple onto my currently updated 27" iMac OSX Version 10.6.8 and now am unable to access my iPhoto, am getting a message saying: You can't open the application iPhoto because it may be damaged or incomplete.

Looking at my iPhoto under About this Mac>more info>Software>Applications>iPhoto there is a big blank for Version and Kind and sayng it was last Modified 4/6/12, the day I tried loading the disc, and "No" for 64-Bit (intel).

So it looks like loading the iLife disc actually eliminated my iPhoto Application. Trying to open the iPhoto application on the hardrive get the same message, but it says the iPhoto application is a 21 MB application.

Would there be a danger in trying to re-install the iLife '11 disc?

Would anyone have any suggestions?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 27"

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 10:58 PM

10 replies

Apr 12, 2012 12:02 AM in response to Ho'okele

To re-install iPhoto

1. Put the iPhoto.app in the trash (Drag it from your Applications Folder to the trash)

2a: On 10.5: Go to HD/Library/Receipts and remove any pkg file there with iPhoto in the name.

2b: On 10.6: Those receipts may be found as follows: In the Finder use the Go menu and select Go To Folder. In the resulting window type

/var/db/receipts/

2c: on 10.7 they're at

/private/var/db/receipts

A Finder Window will open at that location and you can remove the iPhoto pkg files.

3. Re-install.

If you purchased an iLife Disk, then iPhoto is on it.

If iPhoto was installed on your Mac when you go it then it’s on the System Restore disks that came with your Mac. Insert the first one and opt to ‘Install Bundled Applications Only.

If you purchased it on the App Store or have a Recent Mac you can find it in your Purchases List.

Jan 28, 2013 7:24 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thank you Terence, I panicked as of last night when I abruptly, which is so unusual for me, installed iLife '11, which had been riding around in my briefcase for a year or so. My iPhoto went bad and I had to travel 300 miles today, unable to work on it. Tonight, I followed your insturctions, ended up purchasing iPhoto'11 as I couldn't figure out how to get it back on my MacBookPro where it was originally. (it is 3 years old). Tonight I have I think all my photos back. I am so very thankful to you and people like you who take the time to assist we novices.

Wow! I am scared to empty my trash though.

I wish you well and again, thanks so much for sharing your expertise!

Feb 20, 2013 8:57 AM in response to Ho'okele

BUMP....for those with Mountain Lion....no system restore disks.

Purchased iLife11 disk online basically for the iDVD app as it is no longer issued with Mountain Lion. Got the same error that iPhoto was "incomplete or damaged" after installing. Ran an update, still no fix. Did not trash "damaged" iPhoto.... Just went to Purchases, as mentioned at bottom of Terence's post, and re-installed iPhoto...done. Back in business....all photos intact.

Love my new Macbook but it's small issues like this that can be frustrating with Apple. However, with a little perserverance, the switch from PC is well worth it compared to the endless updates, viruses, crashes and hardware breakdowns associated with Windows.

Feb 23, 2013 6:13 PM in response to kellyontheriver

If you purchased an iLife Disk, then iPhoto is on it.

If iPhoto was installed on your Mac when you go it then it’s on the System Restore disks that came with your Mac. Insert the first one and opt to ‘Install Bundled Applications Only.

If you purchased it on the App Store or have a Recent Mac you can find it in your Purchases List.

If these three cases do not cover you tehn contact your university tech support

LN

Tried loading iLife '11: Why does application iPhoto not open and say it may be damaged or incomplete?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.