Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App store security or phishing?

Was updating some iOS apps, when the App Store (assuming it was the app store), requested my password a second time, and then proceeded to request security questions and answers...

It looked like pushing, and since I'd not heard of Apple instituting this procedure I elected not to input the information.

Feedback submitted to Apple on this... Anyone else seen this before? Has Apple advertised this?

Thx

Bob

(also posted under the iPad section)

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Powerbook G4, Mac Plus

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 11:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 12:26 AM

HI Bob...

It's not phishing. Apple does ask to verify the answers to your security questions randomly.

You can change the answers to your security questions anytime > Frequently Asked Questions About Apple ID

And change your Apple ID password on a timely basis > Apple - Support - Apple ID

Apple ID: Tips for protecting the security of your account

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2012 12:26 AM in response to Bob Gold

HI Bob...

It's not phishing. Apple does ask to verify the answers to your security questions randomly.

You can change the answers to your security questions anytime > Frequently Asked Questions About Apple ID

And change your Apple ID password on a timely basis > Apple - Support - Apple ID

Apple ID: Tips for protecting the security of your account

Apr 12, 2012 2:40 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thx Carolyn...

I've never had Apple verify my security question, before.

I have one security question that was set some years back... It's the only security question Apple has (in addition to my birthday)...

Is apple attempting to add more security questions & answers for each account? If so, have they advertised this? I mean, the process I observed never asked me my security question... Instead, it asked me to create (I believe) five new questions and answers... And it allowed me to complete the app updates without completing the question/answer process....

Just seemed downright strange to me....

For that matter, I don't see anywhere under managing the apple id acct settings to add additional security questions/answers if one wished to go that route.

I've seen a few other posts on this topic in the last two days... None earlier than about 10 April 2012...

Again, thx!

Bob

Apr 22, 2012 12:32 PM in response to Bob Gold

3 out of 5 questions?!?

This is WAY TOO INTRUSIVE.

A store can not require me to show my Driver's License to use my credit card, but I have to tell Apple what my favorite job was???

Apple had enough information to send me an iPhone and iPad to my home without knowing what city I was first kissed in.

What's next, a DNA sample or a Freedom Fondle like the airport gives?

Apr 23, 2012 3:34 PM in response to Bob Gold

This is just plain BAD!! Not only THREE of the WORST questions ever, BUT .... when I go to change the Security questions as suggested above, ONLY ONE new question is possible. THEN ... when I try to BUY iTunes music the SAME thing happens again. The NEW question I put in does NOT come up. It keeps asking the SAME dumb ones and not a whisper of the one I 'changed' it to. (YES I hit 'save' and I've done it TWICE!!) This incompetance makes Apple look really poor IMHO.

Apr 23, 2012 3:47 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

To Carolyn S (above).... Ok but that didn't work for me. I had tried that twice before ending up here looking for answers since the Apple 'Help' personell do not seem to be able to tell me HOW to get it fixed either (probably 6 emails back and forth) The SAME 3 ridiculous 'Secuirty Questions' come up and not the NEW question I put in. I'm just trying to BUY music on iTunes like I have for 4> 5 years. WOW!!

App store security or phishing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.