Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text on Preview keeps turning sideways!!!

So I use Preview for taking notes in class. I just add text boxes on top of the slides and save it afterwards. It usually works great. But the last few PDFs, even though I type all the text correctly and save it before I close, I will reopen the PDF document later to find that every text box throughout the document has been turned sideways!!!

It's really annoying to have to go back and individually turn the boxes right side up (if I just enlarge the textbox a little, the words align correctly).

Please help!!

I'm using a MacBook Pro (pretty new) with Lion OS.

MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 (32GB), iPad2

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 10:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2012 3:15 AM

Not only do I have this issue, but I have found that some of my textboxes completely disappear when I reopen the PDF... it is only by chance that I found some of them again as the mouse icon changes when I wave it over where they supposedly are (but don't actually appear there). When I click on them they reappear. My MacBook Pro is 4 weeks old. My friend is also having the same issue on her macbook pro too and preview.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2012 3:15 AM in response to bpost137

Not only do I have this issue, but I have found that some of my textboxes completely disappear when I reopen the PDF... it is only by chance that I found some of them again as the mouse icon changes when I wave it over where they supposedly are (but don't actually appear there). When I click on them they reappear. My MacBook Pro is 4 weeks old. My friend is also having the same issue on her macbook pro too and preview.

Oct 12, 2012 9:22 PM in response to willza

The only way I've learn how to sort of prevent it is first type something in. Close the file. When you reopen the hope that the words are sideways then create a new text box and type something in. After that close it and see if it's horizontal. I believe the first time it turns vertical you have to have at least one new text box in that will save the rest of the document as horizontal

Sep 10, 2015 6:06 PM in response to bpost137

I'm having the same problem. Macbook Pro. Yosemite 10.10.5.

Learned a work around - enter all the fields and then print, save as .pdf, will save it correctly. But, there has got to be a better way.. Very Strange as this just started happening recently. Very frustrating after spending 30 minutes filling in fields (using the T function) and then sending a whacky document to recipient.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Aug 22, 2016 8:01 PM in response to bpost137

It has happened to me since Lion. Also Preview is completely buggy. I will try and draw a squiggly line and it turns sideways immediately when I draw it. I mark up architectural drawings in preview and I have wasted no less than 100 hours fighting what used to be one of the most useful tools on my macbook pro.

My office has a number of macbooks ipads and iphones. I have been a converted windows user for nearly 7 years, but I am really really really close to jumping ship and going back to Windows. It seems since Steve Jobs passed, no one looks at the small details and this is only one example of this. I guess my post will probably get taken down as it may be bad for Apple stock, but they need to wake up and realise their products are not keeping pace. My iphone, ipads and macbooks have become super unreliable and the software is no longer cutting edge but cumbersome (adding multiple JPGs to an email, how about the phone remembering the folder you took the picture out of! or just adding a date taking 5 or 6 clicks ... you know what I am talking about.) Everyday I talk myself out of staying mac.

I hope someone can tell me a secret fix on Preview. It would be a good start to me staying on the "apple boat" as now it seems to me like the titanic.😟

Text on Preview keeps turning sideways!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.