Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

charger not working?

My macbook pro's charger is not working - occassionly it will light up orange and charge but most of the time it will not

The charger is a 60w magsafe power adapter

I have had this charger for approx 3 years

One of thee adaptors ends for some reasons has slightly deviated towards the right and its silver plating has been scratched to show the gold core would this effect the chargers ability

What is the chargers problem?

Also would it be safe to use my macbook charger on the macbook pro?

Also the battery icon occassionally says service battery , is this due to overcharging the laptop ?

60w magsafe charger-OTHER

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 3:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 3:36 AM

In the US?

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4127

10 replies

Apr 12, 2012 3:41 AM in response to nickd23

Undoubtedly, the wiring of the adapter is faulty. This is a very common problem with the MagSafe chargers. Go back to the Apple store and see if you can get a free replacement, lots of people on the forum have had good luck with this.

You're saying "slightly deviated towards the right", and I think you mean that one of the pins is bent, somehow? That definitely can affect the charging. In any case, the solution remains the same; go back to the store. If this is not convenient for you for some reason, there are cheap replacements available on Amazon, they cost about $35 instead of the ridiculous price that Apple charges. However, these cheapies don't have the same build quality, only do this if you're in a tight spot money-wise.

You can safely use your MacBook charger on your MBP, the voltages are the same (+/- 16V).

Concerning the "service battery" message, I'd say first replace the charger and then see if the message still occurs. How many cycles does your battery have? The following link explains how to check:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1519

The battery is an item which wears out as you use it. It could be time to replace it.

Jun 27, 2012 11:15 PM in response to tinyangel3d

Well, it's not always clear if the wiring is bent/frayed. I've seen it happen really close to the adapter itself, covered by the insulation as well as the soft plastic outlet. Also, I've seen small bite marks from pets, which could also shorten the charger.

Anyway, if you're absolutely sure no such thing happened, better get a surge protector and stick it between the power outlet and the MagSafe.

It shouldn't do this, however. If you have the time, better get back to the store with the adapter(s).

charger not working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.