Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is it possble to change the font of incoming emails?

My thinking is that on long email conversations, i'll be able to see what i have written by the font...

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 2.5GHz i7/8 GB RAM/750 GB HD

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 5:14 AM

15 replies

Apr 12, 2012 5:24 AM in response to neophlegm

neophlegm wrote:

Presumably though, if you changed the font of ALL incoming mail that'd change the quoted sections in the replies? So you wouldn't be able to distinguish what you'd written anyway?

i should rephrase... is it possible to change the font of each emailer on arrival... to help distinguish people?

how odd, apple dictionary doesn't recognise the word 'distinguish'...

Apr 12, 2012 6:10 AM in response to thomas_r.

Thomas A Reed wrote:

i should rephrase... is it possible to change the font of each emailer on arrival... to help distinguish people?

No, that's not possible.

how odd, apple dictionary doesn't recognise the word 'distinguish'...

???

User uploaded file

side topic reply. i'm not doing well on the 1st time explanations today, am i?!

it's in this box i'm typing in now, i wrote distinguish but this box that i'm typing in now, can't recognise the word.

in fact, ignore me, the apple dictionary doesn't kick in in this box, it's the spell checker for the apple website, and it finds it fine.

ignore

ignore

ignore.

Apr 12, 2012 6:17 AM in response to cheekypaul

Some people I frequently exchange emails with do that by always choosing a color for their outgoing text. Since I normally never do that, her (just to pick one example) email text is always a kind of dark lavender color. My responses are always plain ol' black. So as the email goes back and forth, it's very easy to tell the response start and stop points apart.

So in that vein, you could assign any text you write a color. Then when you get a response, it will stand out from the other person's response, assuming they don't pick up the same color you used.

Apr 12, 2012 6:31 AM in response to cheekypaul

It must be HTML. Plain text can't have any font, font size, font color, etc changes made to it. It's just a string of characters, with display left entirely to the client viewing it.

That means, of course, that Kurt's trick won't always work. It'll work if you're corresponding only with people using Mail, or other mail clients that support HTML mail. But Outlook, for example, is notoriously bad at HTML e-mail. Using HTML mail might cause an Outlook recipient problems. Also, if anyone always sends plain text mail only (as I do), all your font styling will be lost in anything they quote in their reply.

Apr 12, 2012 6:45 AM in response to cheekypaul

But you'll still suffer the same problem. The only way to maintain font styling within heavily nested quoted material within one single e-mail message is for all the e-mail styling to remain intact for the entire conversation. It would be difficult to reliably parse the text and change the font styles if they were lost, and that's assuming that you can use AppleScript to make changes to received e-mail messages, which I don't think is the case.

You'd be better off to simply not include so much quoted material in single e-mail messages and to set mail to organize by conversations (in the View menu) and always include related messages (in Mail -> Preferences -> Viewing).

is it possble to change the font of incoming emails?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.