Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will a mini Mac help streaming

Have the nexflix streaming issues....will a mini Mac help ? I lose connections lot but when I use my iPad instead of the remote ( mirroring ) it works better.

Very new at this ..please correct me me on any incorrect format or etiquette.

AppleTV 2, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Netflix wireless. iPad

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 7:33 AM

6 replies

Apr 12, 2012 10:50 AM in response to Alley_Cat

Thank you...I was hoping I got you Alley Cat...I read some of your replies and they pertained to my issues. I am not a tech type person so I didn't explain very well.

I just connected an apple tv 2 to my Samsung....I have a lot of issues with streaming from nexflix. It either loses connection or tries to upload. Concerning the iPad I use it as a " bridge" between the computer and apple tv ( these are way across the room from each other ) this works better by mirroring what I stream from nexflix on the iPad to the TV instead of the remote.

someone suggested a Mac mini might help...who knows if he know anything about it.

Apr 12, 2012 11:07 AM in response to Granny

Hi

I assume you are on wireless for all devices and that you have a router?

The computer should not really come into the equation when using Netflix.

Both the iPad and the AppleTV should access the internet directly to get the Netflix stream. This should work even if the computer is off unless you have configured the computer to share an internet connection over wifi.

There are many reasons this could be problematic:

1 - Inadequate internet bandwidth

2 - Inadequate wifi bandwidth/signal issues on your LAN (local network at home)

3 - A problem with Netflix

4 - A problem with the AppleTV

In theory if all devices are on wireless I would expect mirroring the iPad (assuming Netflix app on that) to the AppleTV to be more stressful on the local network than just trying to stream Netflix on the AppleTV direct using the silver remote. So if mirroring works ok your LAN is probably up to the job.

A few questions:

Have you set up Home Sharing on the computer? If so, can you stream content from iTunes on the computer to the AppleTV easily without issue?

Have you tried renting from the iTunes Store directly on AppleTV - if so how long does it take to be able to watch something ? Instant, minutes or hours - if it takes a long time to rent I'd be suspicious that your internet connection was slow.

You'd wonder then how iPad works ok - I've a funny feeling that iPad Netflix always defaults to a low quality stream whereas AppleTV woudl try for a better connection.

In your Netflix account on the internet is there an option to alter your preferred quality setting? Netflix has only been with us in UK for a few months but my account has such a setting with 3 quality options, higher quality requiring better internet speed.

You can test your internet speed on teh computer at speedtest.net - might be worth seeing what this gives you.

I would also check the terms of the contract with your internet provider - some of them 'throttle back' connections at certain times of the day or after a certain quota of usage.

AC

Apr 12, 2012 5:46 PM in response to Alley_Cat

WOW !!! You sure you don't work for Apple? That's alot to digest. I will check it all out and see what happens. I REALLY appreciate your input. I may just start from the beginning check my service ..my apple TV set up ...etc.

thank you for your help I know I made it hard as I'm not very tech savvy...like my name I'm a Granny . I google....check discussions...trying to find an answer even on line writing how do you....

You are very kind. Sincerely Granny.

Apr 13, 2012 9:48 AM in response to Granny

Granny wrote:

WOW !!! You sure you don't work for Apple? That's alot to digest. I will check it all out and see what happens. I REALLY appreciate your input. I may just start from the beginning check my service ..my apple TV set up ...etc.

thank you for your help I know I made it hard as I'm not very tech savvy...like my name I'm a Granny . I google....check discussions...trying to find an answer even on line writing how do you....

You are very kind. Sincerely Granny.

Thanks for the kind words, it's a pleasure to help.

Unfortunately however, sometimes the longer and more options a reply is just points to a problem that can be multifactorial or tricky to pin down to one thing or another. Often a process of elimination. Good luck and let us know how you get on - there are many other knowledgable posters here.

AC

Will a mini Mac help streaming

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.