Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

java 2012 install fails

Trying to update Java to 1.6.0-31 in reponse to the warnings about Flashback Trojank. Went to Software updates, but no Java update is listed. Searched apple and found update listed as Java 2012-002. Downloaded DMG and when I open it, I get an error saying something is wrong with the disk image and it might be a security risk.

Downloaded it again and I get the same. I can tell it to open anyway, and the pkg file is shown. It runs the install, but my installed version of Java is still at 1.6.0_29 . Restarted and still at 1.6.0_29

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 8:39 AM

5 replies

Apr 12, 2012 1:14 PM in response to haunja

Went to Software updates, but no Java update is listed

which most likely means you DO NOT have Java installed on your system.

Java is NOT installed by default on Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion). If Java has not been installed at a later date, then Software Update is not going to try applying a Java patch to code that does not exist on your system.

Apr 13, 2012 8:27 PM in response to haunja

I'm having the same problem. On all of our computers running Lion, the Java update is not listed when running Software Update. But when you go to Safari > Help > Installed Plug-ins, it clearly shows "Java Applet Plug-in" is installed and it is version 1.6.0_29. I just downloaded the installer from the Apple Support Downloads website and am installing it manually. The downloaded installer worked fine for me.

Our computers running Snow Leopard do not have this problem. Also, I noticed the new "Flashback malware removal tool" listed under Software Update on our Lion computers today, but still no Java update. I wonder how many users out there are not getting updated because of this Software Update bug.

java 2012 install fails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.