Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i install linux only without os x?

the hard drive on my macbook pro has died and i am in a foreign country with my install discs for os x in the attic of my house which is rented out! ive borrowed a friends install discs for his macbook pro just to see if i can repair the disk but its either not working because of the incompatibility or the hdd is just broken. i'm not dead set on using os x so i wondered if i can get a new hard drive and just boot with a linux install. i would like to continue using the firewire port for an external soundcard but apart from that i only want it for surfing and doing some php/apache web development.

if this is possible this would be a great relief as i can see getting this sorted the apple way costing me several zillions..

thanks

edrico

other info: macintosh hd won't mount. tried repair from single user mode. Invalid volume free block count.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 1:38 PM

2 replies

Apr 12, 2012 10:57 PM in response to edricomendez

The answer to your question is yes. For example, you could download an Ubuntu iso, burn it to a CD, mount from that, reformat or repartition the current drive (if you can) or format a new one, and install and off you go.

If your external sound card or DAC or whatever it is requires a driver, a differnet one would be needed for linux.

If you have to replace the internal hard drive, I'd suggest getting a SSD.

can i install linux only without os x?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.