5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2012 12:47 PM by Ralph Johns (UK)
Taser_This Level 1 Level 1 (45 points)

We are using 10.7 and a colleague is using 10.8.  Facetime only seems to allow two people to video conference.  ichat allows at least four.  I am told in Messages in 10.8 beta, selecting video opens Facetime (with only two video users.)

1)  With 10.8, is there going to be the capability for more than two to video conference?

2)  Is iChat being replaced by Messages?

iMac 24 and Macbook Aluminum, Mac OS X (10.7.2)
  • 1. Re: Messages, Facetime, iChat and Video Conferencing
    Ralph Johns (UK) Level 9 Level 9 (67,490 points)

Hi

Messages is iChat +

It can run the same Buddy  lists as you had in iChat.

In addition to this it can iMessage your Contacts (That have iPhones or use Apple IDs)

However when you are iMessaging Contacts( Address Book) then the Video button launches Face Time to Video to that one person.

If you are using a Buddy List then the same Video Button will start a Video chat with the same Buddy (But the green icons still work)

Pic of Message Chat window doing an iMessage with an AIM Buddy List dragged in front.

The chat indicate by the red text is an iMessage and the Video Button will launch FaceTime (And you can see the green icons in the Buddy List)

10:31 PM      Friday; April 13, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

  iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.3)
     G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
     MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
     Mac OS X (10.6.8),

"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

• 2. Re: Messages, Facetime, iChat and Video Conferencing

I guess the question is more, is there, or shall there be mutliple party video conferencing in Mountain Lion with Messages App (three or four folks at the same time) as iChat does now?  Of is Apple dropping what users have come to rely on? 

• 3. Re: Messages, Facetime, iChat and Video Conferencing

Hi,

I thought I had been clear.

Messages Beta can do everything that iChat can do.

That includes as you know 3 and 4 away Video chat to Buddies in Buddy Lists (AIM to AIM Logins and Jabber to Jabber logins)

Messages Beta has in it's Accounts Preferences the iMessage account using an Apple ID  (This may or may not be an AIM or Jabber login as well)

This then allow Messages to access the Address Book for Contacts that have iPhones (using the Number) or Apple IDs that have been registered with Messages either on the Mac or on an iOS 5 device.

This will do group Text Chats.

Video for these contacts is 1-1 and is done by invoking FaceTime from within Messages.

As to whether Messages beta will make it to Mountain Lion that has  already been decided.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/mountain-lion/features.html

(In fact any Apple Beta I have seen has always made it to the next OS release.  It's how iChat 2 came about with the first VIdeo Chats)

As iOS 5 processors are not large enough to handle 3 and 4 way Chats this is not going to happen for the Phones and iPads.

9:10 PM      Monday; April 16, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

• 4. Re: Messages, Facetime, iChat and Video Conferencing

HI Ralph.  I am not sure where my disconnect on this is...

You mention one can do 3 or 4 way video chats to buddies in buddy lists (AIM to AIM) for instance, but then later say some video chats are one to one. 

So one can do multiple party video chats when no users are using IOS, but as long as they are all using OSX, they are OK for 3 or 4 way video chats? 

• 5. Re: Messages, Facetime, iChat and Video Conferencing

Hi,

If you had Buddy list with iChat before you had Messages then it will do the same Video Chats iChat did.

For Mac to Mac (AIM to AIM or Jabber to Jabber) this can be up to 4 people including yourself.

At the Text Chat Level an "Account" is added to the list in Messages menu > Preferences Accounts.

This uses an Apple ID.

If you open New Messages then you can select Contacts (Address Book List) and text chat to them

Those on iPhone (Phone Numbers or Apple IDs) and iPads (generally Apple IDs) and certain Touches can then be iMessaged.

(As the pic says you can also access the Buddies in the iChat style Buddy lists (rather than display the Buddy lists) and Text chat to them.

At the next stage, as it were, the Blue Icon has become a Video icon.

For iMessages contacts this starts up FaceTime.

FaceTime is the Video Chat option in iOS 5 devices and is limited by the processors on iOS devices and only does 1-1 chats.

There is however Version on your Mac in Lion so that you can either do 1-1 contact with other Macs and/or Video chats to Phones and iPads.

So...

Your Mac with Messages and the fomer iChat Buddy Lists can do up to 4 way Video chats with the Buddies in those Lists - with the proviso that they are logged in to the same Service.

Messages also adds in Texting iMessages to your Address  Book Contacts using either iPhone Numbers (only iPhones - not other phones) or their Apple ID  (does include some iPads that also have SIM cards)

These Contacts can be FaceTimed which can be activated from within Messages

Screen Shot 2012-04-17 at 20.39.06
    Uploaded with Skitch!

8:47 PM      Tuesday; April 17, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),