Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any way to repair disks without the installation CD?

I have the latest version of snow leopard and haven't used my laptop in awhile because I needed to get repairs done on it. Finally repaired it at the apple store, took it home, ran the updates, but disk utility is saying my drive is corrupted and to repair it with the installation disk. I have been looking everywhere and only found the TechTool deluxe CD but can't find my actual installation disks.

Anyone know how I would go about repairing my disk 😟?

Thank you in advance.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 6:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 6:57 PM

You need an installer disc or an external drive from which you can boot the computer. Otherwise you cn try:

File System Maint. - fsck

Boot into single-user mode. After startup is completed you will be in command line mode and should see a prompt with a cursor positioned after it. At the prompt enter the following then press RETURN:

/sbin/fsck -fy

If you receive a message that says "***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****" then re-run the command until you receive a message that says "** The volume (name_of_volume) appears to be OK." If you re-run the command more than seven times and do not get the OK message, then the drive cannot be repaired this way. If you were successful then enter:

reboot

and press RETURN to restart the computer.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2012 6:57 PM in response to Damainman

You need an installer disc or an external drive from which you can boot the computer. Otherwise you cn try:

File System Maint. - fsck

Boot into single-user mode. After startup is completed you will be in command line mode and should see a prompt with a cursor positioned after it. At the prompt enter the following then press RETURN:

/sbin/fsck -fy

If you receive a message that says "***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****" then re-run the command until you receive a message that says "** The volume (name_of_volume) appears to be OK." If you re-run the command more than seven times and do not get the OK message, then the drive cannot be repaired this way. If you were successful then enter:

reboot

and press RETURN to restart the computer.

Apr 12, 2012 7:43 PM in response to Damainman

I was scared to use the techtool deluxe since it is soo old and I wasn't sure how it would work on snow leopard since I got it with 10.5 Also my macbook pro wouldn't boot to the disk, not sure if there is a key I should press or anything.

The booting into safemode seemed to do the trick, my disk is no longer showing the error. Thank you to both of you for replying as I learned something new from each post!

Any way to repair disks without the installation CD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.